2020-2021 Review Catalogs Available
Completed curriculum updates are viewable in the 2020-21 Review Catalogs.
Introducing Workflow for Curriculum Review
Beginning in the Fall 2019 semester for submissions for the 2020-21 catalog and spring 2020 supplemental catalog, proposals for updated/new curriculum will go through an electronic workflow management system through UNC's catalog vendor, SmartCatalog. Beginning this fall, Adobe PDF Portfolio packages will no longer be used. See updated information below regarding the new process.
If you would like to schedule a group training for your area, or have additional questions, please contact the Registrar's Office.
Form & Workflow Maintenance
Forms in the Curriculum Workflow are inactive for updates beginning Monday, Feb. 3rd. Users will not be able to begin new forms until updates have been completed. Please contact Meagan Crews for more information.
Please Provide Feedback
Please use this survey to let us know of any improvements and suggestions you have
to continue to streamline and improve curriculum approval through the workflow.
Take the Survey
- Curriculum Submission and Depository
Submissions for Course, Program, Narrative and Faculty updates are now being processed through an electronic workflow.
Other forms, such as CEL (when not attached to a new or revised course proposal), Variable Title, and Extended Campus forms may be filled out and submitted to the Depository as in the past.
For documentation and training information please visit the Reference and Training Documents tab.
Access & Logging in
Access to the Curriculum Workflow can be found in URSA under the Employee tab > Employee Tools > General Information > Curriculum Workflow. You will use your UNC credentials to login to the system.
- If you are a faculty or staff member who creates and submits curriculum proposals, you will have this basic access with your UNC login. You will be able to view and track the proposals you submit.
- If you are an approver (Chair/Director, Committee Chair, Dean, etc.), your access should have been requested by your College. Please contact your supervisor and/or College Dean's Office regarding your college or department's review process.
Please contact the Registrar's Office with access issues.
Curriculum PDF Forms & Depository
Select change types are not part of the current workflow, primarily Extended Campus and Variable Title updates. To make these updates, please download the below forms and submit to the Curriculum Depository.
- Community Engaged Learning (CEL) Designation Approval Form
- May be submitted with curriculum form if the course is new or undergoing other changes.
- Course Fee Form (may also be submitted via workflow)
- Extended Campus Course form
- Extended Campus Non-Credit Course form
- Four Year Plan
- Variable Title Form
The Depository is a protected file folder for campus users to submit curriculum forms. Please only utilize the Depository to submit one of the above forms. The Curriculum Workflow should be used for other changes.
- Curriculum Deadlines
Registrar's Office Curriculum Deadlines
NOTE: Respective curriculum workflow submissions must be approved by the College Dean on or before the Curriculum Deadlines listed below.
Check with your College Dean's office for college-specific deadlines.
Course & Program Updates
Deadline: December 31, 2019
All new, revised, and deactivated courses and programs should be submitted by this deadline.
Deadline: November 1, 2019
Only NEW courses and programs may be submitted for the Spring Addendum catalog.
Faculty & Narrative Updates
Deadline: March 1, 2020
Faculty and Narrative updates are non-curriculum catalog changes.
Special Council Deadlines
NOTE: Use these earlier deadlines to ensure proposals have time to be reviewed by Liberal Arts Council (LAC) and Professional Education Council (PEC), if applicable.
Check with your College Dean's office for college-specific deadlines.
Professional Education Council (PEC)
Deadline: December 5, 2019*
PEC approval is required for curriculum items that affect programs in teacher preparation.
*Deadlines vary - see PEC website for all deadlines.
Liberal Arts Council (LAC) and Guaranteed Transfer Pathways (gtP)
Deadline: November 1, 2019*
LAC approval is required for new courses and revised courses that affect the Liberal Arts Core. Courses being submitted for inclusion in the state's Guaranteed Transfer Pathways will also be reviewed by the Council.
*Please note new deadline.
- Curriculum Tracking and Review
Tracking and Reviewing Curriculum
The Review Catalogs are draft versions of the catalogs for the next academic year, and they will be updated regularly as changes are approved. If your curriculum submission is listed in "Archived Proposals" in the Curriculum Workflow and/or you've received the email noting curriculum has been approved, you should see the changes reflected in the Review Catalog.
If you would like an updated PDF of a particular program or catalog page, use the "Print this page" option on the right-side navigation to print directly to PDF.
Throughout the process, you will be able to track proposals as they navigate through the workflow. You will see proposals in the "Curriculum Home" and "Curriculum Dashboard" tabs. The Dashboard will allow you to search and filter, but both options will show the name of the proposal, change type, and workflow step. The "My Items" tab will show items that are in your queue for approval or saved as a draft. For example, if you are the Chair of an academic department, any proposals that need your approval will be housed here.
To view approved curriculum in the workflow system, navigate to the "Archived Proposals" tab. Proposals will appear here after final approval is given.
View the final form by clicking on the name of the proposal. The proposal will allow you access to:
- The full, final form that was approved including all course/program data as it should appear in the Review Catalog.
- The "Compare Versions" option, which will give a visual showing of what information was updated during the process.
- The "Audit Trail" which will show the proposal's progression through the workflow, including who submitted, approved at various steps, and any comments placed by users during review.
- Any attached documentation (course syllabi, four year plans, etc.).
Curriculum Tracker (Previous Process)
The Registrar's Curriculum Tracker will no longer be used to store and track curriculum updates each year for course, program, or narrative/faculty changes. Variable Titles, CEL, and Extended Campus submissions can be viewed in the tracker.
- Minor Catalog Revisions
Submissions for Minor Catalog Updates
To facilitate expedited review and updates for non-curricular and non-content requests (such as formatting, spelling/grammar, or contact information), please use the below form to request changes to the catalog. Whenever possible, submissions should be included on forms in the Curriculum Workflow and follow standard curriculum deadlines.
Please note that while we can make updates in the online catalog throughout the year, only those submitted by the Narrative/Faculty Deadline (March 1) are guaranteed to be reflected in the printed catalog for the upcoming year.
Eligible updates include:
Contact information updates
- Department contact name, website URLs, physical location, phone/fax/email
- Removal of faculty/staff names upon death or termination from university
- Department/College name on Course Prefix pages
- Updates to the order of courses within a program (that do not alter requirements)
- Re-order of program sections (that do not alter program requirements)
- General formatting, spacing or heading issues
- Spelling, grammar, punctuation corrections that do not alter basic meaning
- Broken or incorrect URLs/links to replace with correct link
- Request to correct information inputted incorrectly by mistake (revisions to previously approved/correct content should go through curriculum approval)
Expedited Curriculum Submission Form
- Reference and Training Documents
Training and Reference
Curriculum Workflow Training Documents
- Workflow Overview
- Creating and Submitting Curriculum
- Reviewing Curriculum
- Tracking Curriculum
- Catalog Template
- Course Fee Request Form (Budget Office)
- Curriculum Approval Policy (University Regulations, Part 5, pages 25-31)
- Designated University Course Numbers & Definitions
- Four-Year Plans
- Instruction Course Types/Codes (with minimum contact hour ratios by schedule type)
- New Degree/Program Planning Proposal
- Undergraduate Statewide Articulation Agreements and Institutional Transfer Guides
- Curriculum Flow Charts
- Catalog Homepage
- CDHE Guaranteed Transfer and Guided Pathways (gtP)
- Department of Education - Program Integrity Information
- Higher Learning Commission (HLC) - Assignment of Credits, Program Length and Tuition
- Liberal Arts Council
- Professional Education Council (PEC)
- Office of the Registrar
Insight Reports with Banner Coding Information
- Course Coding: To view current course default codes (e.g., division, department, organization, taxonomy, and CIP codes), access Insight Production > CRS049 SCACRSE Default Codes.
- Course Numbering: To check if a particular course number has been used within the last 10 years, access Insight Production > CRS042 CRS Ten Years.
- Program Coding: To view program code information (e.g. department, org, division, taxonomy, etc.), access Insight Production > CRS057 CIP/Department/Taxonomy Codes for Curriculum Review.
- Academic Plan Templates
Academic Plan Templates
Use the below templates for the upcoming catalog to submit new four year plans for each bachelor's degree and transfer guides for each community college. Please note new templates are in a fillable PDF format. Please submit plans to the Curriculum Depository.
UNC Four Year Plans
UNC & Community College Transfer Guides