Jump to main content

Degree Works

What is Degree Works

Degree Works is a web-based advising tool that produces an easy-to-read and user-friendly academic evaluation to help you and your advisor monitor progress toward degree completion. Degree Works looks at the degree and/or certificate requirements of the UNC catalog and the coursework completed to give better information in selecting coursework and understanding degree and/or certificate requirements. This program is designed to aid and facilitate academic advising but is not intended to replace face-to-face advising sessions. It is neither an official academic transcript nor an official notification of GPAs, completion of degree and/or certificate requirements.

To Access Your Degree Works

  • Login to Ursa and click on the "Degree Works" link on your Student Tab
  • Check out the video below for information on how to use your Degree Works
  • Use the Frequently Asked Questions provided below to learn more about Degree Works

Degree Works Planner

The following assists advisors and students in developing a dynamic four-year plan. This supports students in creating a timely planner towards graduation. 

Degree Works FAQ

  • How do I run a Degree Works report?

    To generate a current Degree Works report, log in to Ursa, then click on the “Student” tab to view a degree audit report and access various Degree Works tools.

  • What is a Worksheet?

    A Degree Works worksheet is a review of past, current and "what if” coursework that provides information on completed and outstanding requirements necessary to fulfill a degree/major/minor/concentration.

  • Who can Use Degree Works?

    All currently enrolled undergraduate and graduate students who are in an active catalog can use Degree Works. A catalog is active for six years.

  • What is the "What If" feature?

    The "What If" function allows students to hypothetically change major(s) or minor(s). The "What If" audit will show the coursework that is required for this major, minor, and/or catalog, what courses have been taken that satisfy requirements, and what courses are still left to take.

  • What does the Term GPA Calculator show?

    The Term GPA Calculator will show students' estimated cumulative GPA after filling in hypothetical grade information. By entering their current earned credits and GPA and placing the in-progress courses in the table (this all will default) along with the grades anticipated for current courses, students will see a revised  simulated cumulative GPA based on the estimates provided.  The GPA calculator does not account for UNC’s repeat policy. 

  • Why does my GPA in Degree Works differ from my Academic Transcript?

    The Degree Works system rounds the GPA due to display limitations. It is designed to aid and facilitate academic advising, it is neither an official academic transcript nor an official notification of GPAs, completion of degree and/or certificate requirements.

  • My Major is Wrong and/or my minor/concentration does not appear on my worksheet. What should I do?

    You need to contact your advisor to get your major, minor, and/or concentration(s) updated as appropriate.   If nothing shows on the evaluation, the catalog could be expired.  Or you may not have formally declared their major/ concentration or minor.

  • My advisor approved a course substitution and it's not showing. What should I do?

    Contact the your advisor (undergraduate students) or Graduate School Office (graduate students).

  • How often should I review the Degree Works worksheet?

    At least three times a term.

    You should review your worksheet at the following times:

    1. After you register to ensure the courses apply to your requirements as you expected.
    2. After your grades are posted.
    3. Any time you make changes to your schedule.

    It’s important to review your audit frequently, especially before and after you schedule courses or receive grades. This helps ensure you are taking the correct courses and are on track to graduate on-time. 
    *Remember: Changing your registration or completing a course with a grade lower than the minimum required for a requirement may impact your degree progress.

  • How is Degree Works different from my transcript?

    Degree Works is a tool to assist you with planning and tracking your progress towards your degree. Your transcript is your official university record. This evaluation is not your academic transcript and it is not official notification of completion of your requirements.

  • Degree Works placed one of my courses in two different areas. Is that okay?

    In most cases, yes. It is programmed to recognize that some courses may be used to fulfill more than one requirement. If you have questions, you should consult with your advisor. 

  • I am working on two degrees or majors (a B.A. and a B.S.). Only one appears. How can I review progress on the other degree?

    Look at the degree information next to your name at the top of the screen. You’ll notice that the degree box has a drop-down arrow. Use this to select your second degree.

  • What will my audit look like on Degree Works?

    Degree Works opens automatically to the Student View of your audit. Your graduation requirements are organized into blocks, based on type (i.e. major-specific, liberal arts core, etc.). These blocks are summarized at the top of your audit.
    Specific requirements are then listed in each block. As you look at requirements, click on the course number to view more information. If you see an * that means there is a prerequisite (a course you need to take/satisfy first); click on the course subject and number to view prerequisites. 
    As you register and complete requirements, they are tracked and marked. Refer to the legend that’s located at the top or bottom of the evaluation. 

  • What are insufficient credits?

    At the bottom of your audit, you may see a list of unused courses that are insufficient (such as a failed, repeated or withdrawal course). 

  • How do I update my audit?

    The audit updates every night at midnight.  If you add or drop classes or grades have been issued and need updated information, hit the process new button.  This will update your audit. 

  • Are there other ways to review  my audit than student view?

    You can view your audit two other ways – Registration Checklist or Graduation Checklist. To change views, select an option from the format dropdown and then select the View button. The Registration Checklist shows a concise list of the courses you still need to take. The Graduation Checklist is a condensed, quicker but less-detailed view of the Student View. 

  • Is my information confidential?

    Yes. Degree Works is accessed through your secure Ursa log in. Advisors, faculty, and selected staff will also have access for the purpose of supporting your progress through your academic career. Your Degree Works Audit is part of your Education Record and is protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
    As with any other personal information that you access on-line, you should be sure to logout of your account before leaving a public computer.

  • Who can enter notes?

    Faculty and staff who advise you may periodically make notes regarding registration, transfer courses, future term plans, etc. This information is meant to be helpful to you and to others you may be working with academically. Anyone who has access to your record in Degree Works can view the notes displayed here.

  • What is the Look Ahead feature?

    The Look-Ahead feature allows students to enter a list of classes and see where they might apply on the degree audit. It is a great tool to use as part of the registration process. Students can see how a course will be used before they actually register for it.

  • How do course substitutions work?

    You'll be able to track the progress of a course adjustment (substitution) through the email notifications you'll receive:

    1. When your advisor submits the form for the adjustment.
    2. When the department chair approves or denies the adjustment.
    3. When the approval or denial goes to the Office of the Registrar. Note: If you receive an approval email from the Office of the Registrar, you will need to run a new audit in Degree Works to see the substitution applied to your degree requirements.
  • Who can I contact if I still have questions or believe there is a mistake on my audit?

    Your first point of contact should be your academic advisor. If your advisor is unable to resolve your questions they may refer you to the appropriate contact person in the Office of the Registrar (undergraduate students) or Graduate School Office (graduate students).  You may also submit e-mail questions to graduation@unco.edu (undergraduate students) or grad.school@unco.edu (graduate students).

  • What is included in the “credits applied” number?

    Credits applied include all your completed courses, your transfer courses, and your current registration. Current registration can be the current semester plus any future semesters you have already registered for.  Credits applied is not the number of credits completed. You would need to subtract the number of credits in your registration to find out your total of completed credits used for registration purposes.

  • How can I tell on Degree Works if I have applied for graduation?

    You will see a green check mark in the “Graduation Application Filed” box under the header of Degree in Bachelor of Science or Art.

  • Why is there a red box by Undergraduate Graduation Honors?

    This means you did not meet either the GPA requirement or possibly the minimum credits required (56) to qualify for Latin Honors. It is not a degree requirement to have Latin Honors, so this section is just for your information.

  • Where can I see what catalog I’m in?

    The block headers all show your catalog year over to the right, and your GPA for the classes that are in that section are shown there as well.

  • Does Degree Works show me who my advisor is?

    Yes, that information is under the first block (Student View), right under your name and ID number. You can click the advisor’s name to open up an email already addressed to the advisor.

  • How can I save a Degree Works audit?

    You can either hit “print” or “Save as PDF” to save or print your audit. There is not an automatic “save” of your audit.

  • I am retaking a class that is required for my major, but it’s not pulling in to show that it’s in progress, why?

    If you are retaking a class for your degree, you will see that class in your “insufficient” block toward the bottom of the worksheet. Degree Works will not show it in progress on the major or minor unless you earn the required grade. It will automatically pull in once your grade is entered. As long as you see it in your registration and on your Degree Works under “insufficient”, you can be assured that your registration is correct.