Jump to main content

Applying for Undergraduate Graduation

Bachelor's Degrees

Students who intend to graduate must apply for graduation through the Office of the Registrar. A $50.00 non-refundable graduation application fee will only be charged one time per degree and is applied to a student's account. If a student plans to complete a Certificate program as well, another $50 fee will be charged to their student account once their second application is accepted. If the student is completing both a Bachelor’s Degree and a Certificate program and apply for graduation and certificate completion in the same semester, the student will only be charged the $50 graduation fee once. 

The graduation fee covers the cost of processing and posting a student’s degree, covering the ordering and postage of the diploma. All graduating students are assessed the graduation fee independent of their participation in a commencement ceremony.

Applications are Accepted

Note: All students must apply 48 hours prior to the cap and gown ordering deadline in order to have their application processed and be verified in the cap and gown ordering system.

Failure to meet the application deadline will result in the student having to rent a cap and gown at distribution and paying an additional late-fee. All late rentals must be paid in cash at distribution.

  • After you have registered for your final semester.
  • Summer students must participate in the spring commencement ceremony. Summer students can apply after November 1st and must be registered for spring course work.
  • After any course adjustments are processed and you have met all requirements on Degree Works or  will have met them once your current classes are passed. The only exceptions are students who are transferring in coursework their last semester or completing an Oral Proficiency Exam, Biology Exit Exam, Chemistry Exit Exam, Art Portfolio, or Senior Music Recital.

How to Apply

Before you apply for graduation, be sure to see your academic advisor.

You’ll need to complete the Undergraduate Graduation Application to apply for graduation.

Note: Graduate Students need to contact the Graduate School for information on applying to graduation

  • Make sure to include all majors (programs) and minors that you’ve declared.
  • Indicate any missing non-course requirements or details about transfer work in the box provided on the application.
  • Once you have completed the application, select the submit button located in the bottom-left corner of the form.
  • You will receive a confirmation email to your Bear Mail account to confirm we have received your application.
  • If there are any outstanding graduation requirements, you and your advisor will receive a detailed email within 5 to 10 business days.

To graduate in any given semester, all graduation requirements must be completed (with relevant documentation submitted to the Office of the Registrar, as necessary) two weeks before the release of official transcripts. 

If you need to make any changes to the information you’ve submitted or if you want to request to change your graduation date, you must notify the Office of the Registrar at 970-351-4UNC (4862).

Once you’ve filed your application for graduation, you’ll need to inform the Office of the Registrar if any of your graduation plans change (i.e., the proposed semester of graduation, course substitutions, course repeats).

Degrees are not awarded during the interim term; students who complete their graduation requirements in an interim term are considered graduates of the subsequent spring semester.

If Your Graduation Application is Denied

If your graduation application is denied, it is your responsibility to speak to and following up with your advisor about any missing requirements. The Office of the Registrar isn’t able to advise on missing degree requirements. You’ll need to re-apply when there are no longer any missing requirements.

To keep up to date on your GPA, LAC, major and minor and all graduation requirements, it is highly recommended that you generate a new Degree Works report each time you register or when changes are made to your record (i.e. course substitutions, transfer work, major/minor changes, etc.).

Find out more about Degree Works

Participating in the Commencement Ceremony

In order to participate in a Fall or Spring commencement ceremony, you must be on the tentative graduation list prior to the date of the respective commencement ceremony. If you have not applied for graduation you will not appear on any graduation list.

There is no Summer commencement ceremony; all Summer graduates are invited to participate in the Spring ceremony. Students completing their graduation requirements in the Interim term will participate in the Spring commencement ceremony and will have their degree conferred the following Spring semester.

Exceptions can be made for students who will be doing their student teaching or internship out-of-state their last semester. Complete the Petition to Participate in Commencement form.

Documentation is required from the advisor stating that they have approved the student’s internship/student teaching out of state. Documentation is also required from the facility hosting the student stating that they are allowing that student to do his/her internship/student teaching at their facility.