Apply for an Undergraduate Certificate
Here are a few things to note:
- The first official step when starting a certificate program is the declare the certificate.
- The last step is the application for the certificate so it can be listed on your transcript.
- Certificates can be completed and noted on your transcript at any point in the semester once all requirements have been completed.
- Certificates are not recognized nor awarded at the commencement ceremony.
Completing an Undergraduate Certificate
First things first, you’ll need to apply for certificate completion so it can be awarded and listed on your transcript. The semester before you plan on completing your certificate is when you should submit the Undergraduate Certificate Application form to the Office of the Registrar.
A $50.00 application fee will be charged once per certificate and is applied to your student account, unless you are also applying to graduate with a bachelor's degree at the same time. If so, the $50.00 application fee is charged only one time when you apply to complete your degree and certificate in the same term.
Once you’ve completed your certificate, a notation will be placed on your UNC academic transcript. Certificates can be completed and noted on your transcript at any time in the semester once all requirements have been completed.
Release of Undergraduate Certificates
- Certificates will be released two weeks after the release of official transcripts that notes the completion of the certificate.
- Certificate mailing addresses must be updated/provided at least three weeks before the release of Certificates. If the student does not provide a certificate mailing address by that time, certificates will be mailed to your permanent address. In the event there is no permanent address on file, the parent address will be used instead. if you do not have an active mailing address on file, your certificate will be held for one year. After one year, a fee will be required to re-issue the student's certificate.
- You may change your Certificate Mailing address through the Update Addresses and Phones link up to three weeks before the certificate release date.
- Your certificate will not be released if you have a hold on your account. If you hold is released after the release date of certificate, please contact the Office of the Registrar at email@example.com.