Jump to main content

University Withdrawal

(Complete Schedule Withdrawal)

We understand that many unexpected events may cause you to withdraw from your courses at the University of Northern Colorado, but withdrawing has many important consequences, both academic and financial. To be sure you are making an informed decision, we urge you to read the Withdrawal FAQ's information before you decide to withdraw.

Please note: After the drop deadline, when withdrawing from a course(s), the student will be charged 100% tuition.

  • Withdrawal process

    The process to withdraw from the University must begin in the Office of the Registrar. You may notify us by mail, email, or phone. The date you notify the Office of the Registrar of your intent to withdraw will be used as the official withdrawal date from UNC.

    Upon your notification, the Office of the Registrar will send you an Exit Survey to complete. This form will gather pertinent information and notify the proper departments of your plans (Housing, Dining Services and the Office of Financial Aid). Once completed, you will receive a confirmation email that you should retain for your records. 

    For more information on your official notification of intent to withdraw, please see the UNC catalog.

  • Withdrawal deadlines

    Withdrawals must be completed by the complete schedule withdrawal deadline of the semester.

    For full semester courses, please see the Academic Semester Calendar.

    For course(s) that do not meet for the entire semester, please see the Special Term/Short Course Calendar for withdrawal deadlines.

  • Academic appeals

    Withdrawal deadlines are strictly enforced and exceptions will be made only when there were extenuating circumstances beyond your control that kept you from meeting those deadlines. For more information, please see Registration Appeal forms.

  • Academic and Financial Impact

    You will receive a grade of "W" on all courses not completed. The grade of "W" does not impact your GPA.

    Withdrawing does not eliminate your financial obligation to the University. You are responsible for any charges owed to the University at the time you withdraw, based on the University's tuition and housing refund policies.

    Please note: After the drop deadline, when withdrawing from a course(s), the student will be charged 100% tuition.

  • Short Term Courses

    Short term courses do not run the entire semester and are subject to different add/drop/withdrawal deadlines.

  • Financial Aid

    If you withdraw from school prior to completing 60% of a term, you may be required to repay a portion of the federal financial aid that you received for that term. Federal aid includes Federal Stafford Loan, Federal PLUS Loan, Federal Pell Grant, Iraq\Afghanistan Service Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Colorado Leveraging Educational Assistance Partnership Program and Special Leveraging Educational Assistance Partnership Program. You will also be placed on Ineligible for Financial Aid.

    If you receive all F or UW grades, you will be classified as an “Unauthorized Withdrawal” and Financial Aid will use the 50% point of the semester for the Return of Title IV Fund Calculation. We recommend that you try to complete one class, if possible, to avoid any financial hardship imposed by this regulation. If you are planning to leave school, it is important that you follow the formal withdrawal procedures with the Office of the Registrar and you understand your financial obligations.

    Withdrawals and the Return of Title IV Funds Policy

  • Students with Housing and Dining Contracts

    Housing & Dining contracts are for the full academic year (both fall and spring semesters). You must remain in the University’s housing program if enrolled in 6 or more credits.

    Students will be charged in full for their meal plans and housing if they fully withdrawal after their respective course(s) drop deadline. Tuition and fees are charged at 100%.  More details may be found at: https://www.unco.edu/registrar/registration/add-drop-withdrawal.aspx. Students who desire to appeal this decision may use the Registrar’s Registration Appeals process. Please see this page for more information https://www.unco.edu/living-on-campus/housing/frequently-asked-questions.aspx


    Housing deposit is non-refundable once the academic year has begun. Other fees may also be non-refundable

  • Student Health Insurance
    If you are covered under the University student health insurance, please contact the office at 970-351-1915 to determine the effect of a University withdrawal on your insurance coverage.
  • Other considerations

    If you are taking a science class with a lab, please check out with your lab instructor prior to leaving to avoid any additional charges.

    If you have library books checked out, please return to avoid additional charges.

    If you have a parking pass, please contact Parking Services at 970-351-1971.

  • Returning to the University

    You will stay an active student for up to 2 semesters of no registration. If you wish to return during this time, please contact your advisor to be advised and receive your PIN number.

    If you wish to return after that time period, please see Returning to the University or contact the Office of the Registrar at 970-351-4862.