Jump to main content

International Exchange Students

One of the great things about studying at UNC is that we allow students to choose any classes across our curriculum to study.  As long as you meet the pre-requisites for the course, you are permitted to register for it.  So, if you are still deciding what academic field to pursue, why not study a little bit of everything while at UNC to get a sense of what you are and are not interested in.

Application Deadlines

The application dates for the exchange program are as follows:

Fall Term

  • Priority Deadline: March 10th
  • Final Deadline: March 31st

Spring Term

  • Priority Deadline: October 1st
  • Final Deadline: October 31st

Exchange Nominations

International partner universities with an official exchange agreement with UNC can nominate exchange students to come to UNC.  Students will need to be in contact with their study abroad or international office at their home school and apply to be nominated for study at UNC. Once nominated, you will receive an email invitation your individual UNC application. 

Application Process

After you have been nominated, please follow these instructions to complete the application process for International Exchange Students

  1. After receiving your invitation, complete the online application form.
  2. Submit your Academic Transcripts, English Proficiency Scores, and passport.
  3. Submit your Immunization record in the applicant portal, or provide to the UNC Health Center.

Once everything have been received, your application will be processed.  You will be notified through email that your application is complete.  Send all questions about this process to international.advising@unco.edu.

Accepted exchange students will be sent information to activate their UNC Ursa account and BearMail email account.  An invitation to our UNC Global Portal System to request your immigration support documents will be sent to your BearMail account.

Interested in an Exchange Program at UNC, but don't attend a partner university?

If your home university does not have an official exchange agreement with UNC, you may be able to come through an affiliated education abroad provider (like ISEP) or apply to UNC as a non degree student at UNC to come for a semester or two.