Insurance Information for International Students
Health Care and Health Insurance:
The cost of medical care can be extremely high in the United States and the US government does not provide care.
All students are automatically enrolled in the UNC Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP). This plan offers health insurance for students, their spouses and their children. If your spouse or child(ren) will come to Greeley with you, you must also pay for their health insurance. You may choose one of the University’s plans or you may waive the university insurance and choose an insurance plan offered by a private company. If you are covered by a policy in your home country or from a company, you must provide proof of your insurance in English.
Spring 2020 waiver deadline: January 27th at 5:00 pm
Due date for waivers is the 10th class day of the semester. If waivers are not completed and submitted prior to the deadline, they will not be considered for approval, and you will automatically be enrolled in the UNC Student Health Insurance Plan for the current semester. The $1310 semester premium will be posted to your student bill (Fall 2020/Spring 2021 premium $1,400 will be added to your UNC bill).
You must submit the International Student Health Insurance Waiver form to the Center for International Education by the waiver deadline. They will review your policy, and if it meets the requirements, the charges for the
health insurance will be removed from your student bill.
The plan must be a federally certified, US-based plan (or university approved plan), compliant with the Affordable Care Act (ACA), and provide coverage for all services included in the UNC SHIP plan:
- Coverage must begin on or before the first day of the academic term in which the student is enrolled and extend through the entire term
- The plan must include both accident and sickness coverage and offer unlimited annual benefit
- The plan deductible must be $500 or less per individual, per accident/illness per year
- The plan must have a maximum out-of-pocket cost of $6,350 or less per benefit year
- The plan must include medical evacuation coverage of at least $50,000
- The plan must include repatriation coverage of at least $25,000
- The plan must have co-insurance of 20% or less
- The plan must include preventative services with no deductible or co-pay
- The plan must also include:
- Outpatient and inpatient emotional and mental health services
- Outpatient substance abuse treatment
- Prescription drug coverage
- X-rays and Lab testing
- Ambulance coverage
- Annual exams, standard immunizations, and contraceptives covered with NO copay
- Doctor's visits
- Durable medical equipment
If your plan does not meet the above requirements, you will be enrolled in the UNC Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP).
The insurance policy must be in effect by the 10th day of classes, which is the waiver deadline for the current semester.
Information for Students and Visiting Scholars with J Visas
In addition to the UNC insurance requirements, the United States Government requires that students and visiting scholars with J Visas and their dependents must have health insurance plans that contain the following provisions:
- Medical Benefits of $100,000 or more for each accident or illness
- Repatriation benefits of $25,000
- Evacuation coverage of $50,000 or more to return a student or scholar to their home country for medical treatment
- Maximum deductible of $5000
- A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness
We are pleased to tell you that the UNC Student Health Insurance plan meets all the J Visa requirements.
Please contact the Center for International Education, located in the University Center, for further information regarding the health insurance requirements. Failure to comply with these regulations may result in termination of your study or research program.