Jump to main content

COVID-19: News and campus updates | University policies and resources

Insurance Information for International Students

Health Care and Health Insurance:

All UNC undergraduate students with 9 or more credit hours and all graduate students with 6 or more credit hours are required to have full medical insurance in effect.  This includes all off campus students.  All students meeting these credit requirements will automatically be set up in the UNC sponsored insurance plan.  If you have other insurance coverage and do not want the UNC insurance, an on-line waiver through your URSA account must be completed by the 10th day of classes every fall semester. 

All international students must follow the waiver process through the Center for International Education website. For waiver instructions go to: https://www.unco.edu/cie/international-student-scholar-services/forms.aspx. International students cannot waive on the UNC URSA site. You must go through the Center for International Education.

Waiver Information:
Fall 2020 deadline is September 4th at 5:00 pm 
Due date for waivers is the 10th class day of the semester.  If waivers are ­not­ completed and submitted prior to the deadline, they will not be considered for approval, and you will automatically be enrolled in the UNC Student Health Insurance Plan for the current semester. The $1410 semester premium will be posted to your student bill each semester.

To be eligible to waive participation in the UNC-sponsored health insurance plan, UNC’s Board of Trustees, generally speaking, allows for U.S.-based equivalent insurance coverage as a basis for waiver. In other words, such plans must be comparable with Gold or Platinum plans under the Affordable Care Act (ACA), and provide coverage for all benefits and services included in the UNC SHIP plan (see UNCO 20-2021 Insurance Plan Brochure).

-Coverage must begin on or before the first day of the academic term in which the student is enrolled and extend through the entire term (or  the duration of the Exchange Visitor program, if longer)
-The plan must include both accident and sickness coverage and offer unlimited annual benefit
-The plan deductible must be $500 or less per individual, per accident/illness per year
-The plan must have maximum out-of-pocket costs $6350 per benefit year
-The plan must include medical evacuation coverage of at least $50,000
-The plan must include repatriation coverage of at least $25,000
-The plan must cover in-network services at 80% or more
-The plan must include preventative services with no deductible or co-pay

The plan must provide the following benefits at a minimum:

-Ambulatory patient services (outpatient care you get without being admitted to a hospital)
-Emergency services
-Hospitalization (like surgery and overnight stays)
-Pregnancy, maternity, and newborn care (both before and after birth)
-Mental health and substance use disorder services, including behavioral health treatment (this includes counseling and psychotherapy)
-Prescription drugs
-Rehabilitative and habilitative services and devices (services and devices to help people with injuries, disabilities, or chronic conditions gain or recover mental and physical skills)
-Laboratory services
-Preventive and wellness services and chronic disease management
-Pediatric services, including oral and vision care (but adult dental and vision coverage aren’t essential health benefits)
-Birth control coverage
-Breastfeeding coverage
Your insurance coverage should also cover testing and treatment in epidemic and pandemic situations.

In addition, plans for J-1/J-2 Exchange Visitors “must be underwritten by an insurance corporation with an A.M. Best rating of "A-" or above, an Insurance Solvency International, Ltd. (ISI) rating of "A-I" or above, a Standard and Poor's Claims Paying Ability rating of "A-" or above, or a Weiss Research, Inc. rating of B+ or above. Alternatively, the sponsor may ascertain that the participant's policy is backed by the full faith and credit of the government of the exchange visitor's home country (22 CFR 62.14).”

Note: Accident or traveler’s policies do not generally qualify as comparable insurance and cannot be used to waive the university insurance requirements. You must upload your proof of coverage and policy (in English) in this application in the Documents section for this application to be considered complete.

If your plan does not meet the above requirements, you will be enrolled in the UNC Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP). 

 Please contact the Center for International Education, located in the University Center, for further information regarding the health insurance requirements. Failure to comply with these regulations may result in termination of your study or research program.