How Undergraduate Tuition and Fees are Used (Fall 2016/Spring 2017)
Note: The total fee for 10 credit hours or greater is $431.10 for Student Services Fees.
Student services and support are funded by this portion of the Student Fees. Per credit hour charges of $43.11 are assessed for credits enrolled in from 1 through 10.
The services funded include, but are not limited to:
- Athletic Events
- Asian/Pacific-American Student Services
- Performing Arts Events
- Student Clubs
- César Chávez Cultural Center
- Women's Resource Center
- Student Senate
- Marcus Garvey Cultural Center
- Club Sports
- Student Programming
- Native American Student Services
- Outdoor Pursuits
- UNC Counseling Center
- National Student Exchange
- Student Radio
- Student Newspaper
- International Film Series
- Fraternity & Sorority Life
- International Education
- University Program Council
- Campus Bike Program
- Bear Bus
- Campus Recreation Center
- GLBTA Resource Office
- Prevention Education
- Graduate Student Assoc
- Student Activities
Note: The total fee for 10 credit hours or greater is $325.00 for Capital Fees.
- Student Capital Fee
- The Student Capital Fee supports bonded facility debt service and facility operations as well as capital repair and replacement. Per credit hour charges of $32.50 are assessed for credits enrolled in from 1 through 10.
- Waiver of Student Fee
- Student activity fees are charged per credit hour up to a maximum of ten credits per semester for main campus courses. If you are only taking online and/or Extended Campus courses (no assigned times and days), your Student Service, LEAF (Leadership for Environmental Action Fund) and Capital Fees will be waived. This is an automatic process that will happen after the drop date for the semester. If you feel that your schedule qualifies for the fee waiver and if by the third week of classes you don’t see that these fees have been removed, you should contact the Bursar’s Office at 970-351-2201.
- LEAF Fee
- The Student Leadership for Environmental Action Fund (Student LEAF) is intended to move the campus community toward a sustainability-minded culture. This fund finances environmental improvements in campus infrastructure and educational initiatives. Student LEAF is managed by a committee led by students, staff and faculty representation. A student fee of $1 per credit hour up to 10 credit hours each semester (up to $20 per a traditional academic year) sustains the fund. The savings generated from the projects are being reinvested in ways that are directly visible to the student body. To be eligible, projects must seek to improve campus resource efficiency, strengthen the community, and provide practical career experiences for students. For example, a project might be proposed to fund and/or include academic involvement in developing a highly efficient irrigation system.
- Covers classroom instruction, student services, administration and facilities. Based on cost and demand, differential tuition may be charged for certain classes (Sciences/SES/Art, Business, Nursing, Theatre). Detailed information about differential tuition.
- Library Fee
- Covers print and online library materials.
- Technology Fee
- Used for equipping new smart classrooms, staffing and maintaining computer labs, and providing students access to academic software.
- Academic Fees
- A. Course fees are charged to underwrite in whole or in part the cost of consumable supplies in a laboratory or classroom including the replacement of specialized non-capital (under $5,000) laboratory equipment. These fees are primarily for science, art and theatre.
- B. Participation fees are charged for courses where the amount of the fee is passed through to a vendor for the use of specialized facilities or services. This may also cover costs associated with field trips required for the course. Examples include ski passes and archaeology field trips.
- C. Program fees augment funding of the delivery of high cost programs (Music, Theatre, and Art in CPVA and the Nursing Program in NHS). Expenses covered include, but are not limited to, supplies, repair and replacement of instruments, equipment.
- D. Supervision fees charged to cover the cost of faculty travel and related expenses for supervision of clinical, student teaching and similar courses. These are primarily for Education and Behavioral Sciences practicums and observations, and Nursing clinical courses at off-site locations.
- E. Assessment fees are charged to cover the cost of third party tests. The fee is passed through to an external vendor. These are primarily used in applied psychology and special education courses where students are learning to administer and interpret tests as part of their curriculum.
- On-Line Course Fees
- On-Line Course Fee-online fees pay for adjunct costs resulting from increased course sections and smaller class sizes; it also funds instructional designers, development and training to enhance online course offerings.
- **The student health insurance premium is a pass through by our current insurance provider. Student health insurance is mandatory, for all students registered for 9 or more credit hours, but can be waived by providing proof of comparable insurance before the 10th day of classes every fall semester. If the student health insurance is purchased for the academic year, summer is covered as well.