Jump to main content

COVID-19: News and Campus Updates


  • What is the requirement for living on campus?

    All newly admitted students with less than 20 college credit hours earned after high school graduation (or equivalent), who are under 21, and are not living with their parent or legal guardian in the local area must live in the UNC's housing system through the completion of the first academic year of their attendance. 

    Local area is defined by school district, which include Ault Highland RE-9, Eaton RE-2, Greeley 6, Platte Valley RE-7, Poudre R-1, Thompson R-2J, Weld County RE-5J, Weld RE-1 and Windsor RE-4.

    UNC students who are living on campus are required to carry an On-Campus Meal Plan throughout the academic year. Students who are at least 20 years old or have at least 20 earned credits may be eligible to switch to one of the upperclassman On Campus Meal Plans.

    Upperclassmen living in Lawrenson or Arlington Park Apartments are not required to carry a meal plan. All first-year students with housing contracts are required to carry at least a 14-meals per week meal plan, regardless of what building they live in.

    For students that want to live within the local area with a parent or legal guardian, please complete the Living in the Local Area form and return it with the required documentation to the Housing & Residential Education Office by mail (Housing & Dining Services, Tobey-Kendel 199, Greeley, CO 80639) or email at housing@unco.edu.

    Credits earned through Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) or concurrent enrollment with high school do not apply towards the live-on requirement. 

  • How do I complete a contract for housing?

    Admitted students who have confirmed their enrollment at UNC will be able to complete and submit an Online Housing & Dining Contract using their Ursa login credentials. The Housing Contract is not considered completed until required $100 housing deposit is also submitted.

    For specific instructions on how to apply for housing visit the Apply for Housing & Dining page

  • What is the deadline for contract?

    The Housing & Dining contract has not specific deadline, however, the sooner you get your contract submitted, the better the chances you have to live in your top choices of halls and rooms. Contracts are assigned on a date priority based on when you submitted your completed contract. Once you are assigned a date priority, you will be able to select your room in available spaces. Again, it is better to send in a contract sooner rather than later.

  • How are deposits collected?

    Deposits are accepted online in the Housing & Dining contract via credit card or by mail via check (payable to UNC). Deposits are transferred over from year to year for those students who continue to live in the residence halls.

  • Can I cancel my contract?

    Yes, you can cancel your contract. All cancellations must be written by the student (not the parent).  On your written cancellation, please include your first and last name, Bear Number, with the reason for wanting to cancel.  The cancellation can be:

    • Mailed to: UNC Housing Office, Campus Box 38, Greeley, CO 80639; or
    • Faxed to: 970-351-1950; or
    • Emailed to: housing@unco.edu from your UNC BearMail account.

    Contracts canceled by or on April 30 will receive a full housing deposit refund. Contract cancellations received between May 1 and May 31 will receive half of the deposit refund.

    Contracts canceled after May 31 will have the deposit forfeited. Contracts can be canceled up until the halls open. However, the deposit is forfeit. Once the halls have opened, students will be billed for the entire amount of the housing contract if enrolled in classes.

  • Can I move off campus at the end of the first semester?

    Housing contracts are for the academic year (both fall and spring semesters). You must remain in the University's housing system from August through May in accordance with the housing contract.

  • What happens to my room contract if I drop out of school?

    University withdrawal must be done when you need to drop/withdraw from all courses and leave the university. Students who are planning to drop all courses and leave the university, for any reason, need to go to the Registrar’s Office located at Bear Central in the Campus Commons or call 970-351-4862. Students are required to complete an exit survey before the withdrawal will be processed. Unless this procedure is followed, students will receive failing grades in all courses.

    Residents must check-out of their residence hall within 48 hours of submitting the Exit Form.

    2021-2022 Academic Year
    Housing and Dining Services will charge a daily rate (per diem) to students who withdraw from the fall semester by November 9, 2021 and from the spring semester by April 9, 2022. After these dates, students will be charged in full for their meal plans and housing. There will be a full refund of unused dining dollars (additional purchases only) through the end of each semester.

    2022-2023 Academic Year
    Students will be charged in full for their meal plans and housing if they fully withdrawl after their respective course(s) drop deadline. Tuition and fees are charged at 100%.  More details may be found at: https://www.unco.edu/registrar/registration/add-drop-withdrawal.aspx. Students who desire to appeal this decision may use the Registrar’s Registration Appeals process.

  • What happens if I drop below six (6) credit hours in the middle of a semester?

    The UNC Housing Contracts Terms & Conditions state that to be eligible for occupancy in University housing, a student must be enrolled at the University of Northern Colorado ("UNC") and carry an undergraduate or graduate credit load of six (6) semester hours or more and/or enrolled in the Aims2UNC program. If a student drops below 6 credits or leaves the Aims2UNC program, they can request approval to stay in UNC housing for the duration of their contract or until the next term.

Room Assignments

  • How do I find a roommate? Or if I have a roommate in mind, how do we select a room together?

    If you do not have a roommate in mind and need to find one, the Assignments Coordinator will match you with another student by using the roommate matching criteria on the housing contract.

    At UNC, you have the ability to select a roommate if you and your friend would like to be roommates.  Prior to filling out the housing contract, you need to get the correct spelling of your roommate first and last name as well as their Bear Number.

    On the housing contract, you will enter your roommate preference by entering their first name, last name and Bear Number to confirm that they are someone that you want to room with during the academic year.  They will need to do the same thing on their contract.

  • How do I get my housing assignment?

    You can check your assignment by going to https://studenthousing.unco.edu/ and logging in with your Ursa login. If you have an active assignment it will appear at the bottom of the page. (Note this doesn’t apply to students living in Arlington Park.) 
    New students moving in for the academic year (August-May) can select where they’d like to live from the beginning of the priority assignment deadline in March. Students can select which space they’d like to assign themselves to.  Students will be able to move spaces until June 30. Please learn more about How To Apply
    Students moving in in the spring term will be assigned to a vacant space based on their housing application preferences and can expect to see their assignment after the end of the fall semester but before UNC closes for the winter holidays. 

  • I haven’t moved in yet, how do I change my room?

    New students moving in for the academic year (August-May) can select where they’d like to live from the beginning of the priority assignment deadline in March. Students can select which space they’d like to assign themselves to.  Students will be able to move spaces until June 30. 
    Any room changes made after June 30 will be done by your Neighborhood Coordinator after classes begin in August (Fall Semester) or January (Spring Semester). Learn more about how to move to a different room as a current student. 

  • Can I sign up for a single room?

    Single rooms are at a premium cost. While we do have some “designated singles,” most of these rooms are held for medical/disability situations. Other single rooms are usually spoken for during the return sign-up process, when current students re-contract for spaces for the following academic year.

    If you have a documented medical or psychological condition, you are required to work the Disability Resource Center Office at 970-351-2289.

  • What if I want to change my room assignment or switch roommates after the halls open?

    After the halls open, if you would like to move to another space, you can fill out the Current Student Room Move Request Form and speak to your Neighborhood Coordinator about where you would like to move. If you want to move due to a roommate conflict, please talk to your Resident Assistant. Your RA can assist with roommate conflict resolutions and make roommate agreements. If the conflict is not resolved, then residents should talk with the Neighborhood Coordinator about changing rooms. We try to work with students to make the most amicable situation possible. Because of space availability, we sometimes are not able to make the requested changes immediately.


  • I didn't ask to be assigned to a special interest floor. Why am I?

    If you were assigned to a “special interest floor” without requesting it, it is probably because the remaining spaces available were only on this floor at the time of your assignment.

  • Can I live with another person of the same ethnicity or religion?

    Room assignments are made based on the information given on the contract; ethnicity and religion are not included.

  • Does UNC offer family housing and graduate housing?

    Arlington Park Apartments is located just 2 blocks from West Campus and offers a variety of floor plans. This is a very popular housing choice and has limited availability.

  • I live on-campus how do I get my same room for next year, or get a different room before new students?

    Students who currently live within the UNC Housing system and want to sign up again for the following academic year, will sign up for housing during January 2021 through the Call Dibs process.

    Arlington Park students wishing to renew will be contacted in December with directions on how to renew for the next year. Please learn more about Arlington Park Renewals.

Rooms and Amenities

  • What kind of internet access do I have in the residence halls?

    High speed internet access is available in each residence hall via a hard-wired network port called ResNet.  ResNet is provided to each residence hall occupant with an active housing contract.  You will need either a category 5 or 6 Ethernet patch cable to connect your desktop or laptop to the hard wired port.  Category 5 or 6 Ethernet patch cables can be purchased at various retailers.  Once connected to ResNet you will be guided through an automated online registration process for internet services.  (You can only complete this process in your residence hall room).  

    Residents will also find wireless access available in their Residence Halls via the wireless network name ”UNC-ResLife” and users will need to use the pre-shared key UNCReslife to associate to the network. In the academic areas, students can use the UNC-Student wireless network, and pre-shared key UNCStudent.  For a list of buildings and locations with wireless access or assistance with ResNet please contact the Technical Support Center 970-351-4357 or search the IM&T Knowledge Database.

  • Can I put up my own curtains?

    Fire preventive curtains are provided for each room and cannot be taken down. Students cannot put up their own curtains.

  • Can I put in my own loft unit/water bed?

    Neither lofts nor water beds are allowed in halls. Beds in the residence halls can be bunked and are twin regular size. Please learn more about University provided furniture on our What to Bring webpage.

  • What size are the beds?

    In UNC’s residence halls and houses, all beds and mattresses are twin regular size. Each room has an adjustable height bed with a dual firmness twin mattress (firm or extra firm, depending on which side is up). Please see the Bed and Mattress section for more details on the bed in your residence hall and house.

    In Arlington Park Apartments, all beds and mattresses are Full XL size and include either:

    • a platform, box spring, and a dual firmness Full XL mattress (firm or extra firm, depending on which side is up.)
    • an adjustable height bed with a metal spring deck and a dual firmness Full XL mattress (firm or extra firm, depending on which side is up.)

    For student's living in UNC’s residence halls and houses that request it, a limited number of extra-long (XL) twin mattresses are available upon request for students 6'4" and taller. To request a Twin XL bed, please email housing@unco.edu from your UNC email with your name, your height, your hall/house and room number, and your anticipated move in date (if you are arriving early.) Please contact us by phone if you have more questions about reserving a twin XL bed.

  • Can I have posters/pictures on walls?

    Students are encouraged to decorate and personalize their room. Posters and framed pictures are allowed on the walls, but nothing may be attached to the ceiling, including stickers and decals. A limited amount of adhesive 3M products for attaching posters/pictures to walls are available at front desks. 

  • Can I paint my room?

    No. If your room needs to be painted, you can request that by calling Housing Services. The room will be assessed to determine need/priority by Housing Services. All painting is conducted by the Facilities Operations paint crew.

  • What appliances can I use in the residence halls?

    Compact refrigerators no larger than 6 cubic feet maximum; microwaves of 1250- watts or less may be used. All open coil appliances such as toaster ovens and hot plates are not allowed. George Foreman grills are NOT allowed. All appliances must be UL approved.

    Visit our webpage for suggestions on what to bring to campus and what to coordinate with your roommate.

  • How do I receive my mail?

    Mail should be addressed to you in the following format:

    Line 1: Your first and last name
    Line 2: Building and Room # - (example: Belford Hall, Room 120), 
    Line 3: Building street address (see link below for buildings by street address)
    Line 4: Greeley, CO 80631-XXXX * (more information on zip codes)

    Please do not put "UNC" or "University of Northern Colorado" on any of the mail. This will re-direct the mail to the UNC general mail room for faculty, staff and department mail. This will cause receipt of the mail to be delayed to the student.  

Break Housing Information

  • Do I have to move out during the Thanksgiving break?

    No. Students can remain in the halls during the Thanksgiving break, however, they must register with the front desk. The Dining Halls are closed during Thanksgiving break. Meal service is not provided.

  • Do I have to move out during winter break?

    For the 2020-2021 academic year all halls will remain open during the semester break for residents. If you plan on staying on campus please request to live on campus during the semester break. There is an additional charge to stay on campus during break periods, with the exception of residents living in Lawrenson Hall or Harrison Hall.  

  • Do the halls close during spring break?

    Yes. Residence halls, with the exception of Lawrenson and Harrison Halls, close at 10 AM Saturday prior to spring break and then re-open a week later at 8 AM on Sunday prior to classes beginning. Lawrenson and Harrison Halls will remain open during spring break for residents.

    Students residing in other residence halls can request to live on campus during the break for an additional charge. Prior arrangements need to be made to through the Housing & Residential Education office at 970-351-2721.

Miscellaneous Questions

  • How can I safely dispose of used needles and other sharps on campus?

    If you use injectables for medical reasons and need access to a sharps disposal container, please contact Student Health Center at 970-351-1919. Students having full sharps containers may return them to the Student Health Center for proper disposal and may pick up a new, empty container, free of charge.

    Used needles and other sharps are dangerous to people and pets if not disposed of safely because they can injure people and spread infections that cause serious health conditions. The most common infections are:  Hepatitis B (HBV), Hepatitis C (HCV) and Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV).  Safe sharps disposal is important whether you are at home, at work, at school, traveling, or in other public places such as hotels, parks, restaurants, and dining rooms.

    Never place loose needles and other sharps (those that are not placed in a sharps disposal container) in the household or public trash cans or recycling bins, and never flush them down the toilet. This puts trash and sewage workers, janitors, housekeepers, dishwashers, household members, and children at risk of being harmed.

    For more information, please visit the FDA website.

  • There is a U.S. Census representative on campus. Is it okay that they are here?

    The U.S. Government will send census takers to campus to talk with students. All census personnel will show proper identification and will notify the Hall Director for the building of their presence.


We provide complimentary laundry facilities in each of our residence halls as well as our apartment complex for students living with us in one of those facilities. We also encourage our students to use the our UNC Mobile App to view the availability of washer and dryers in the halls or use online Jetz Laundry App to report any issues with laundry equipment.