Jump to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Housing Contract Information:

  • What is the requirement for living on campus?

    All newly admitted students with less than 20 college credit hours earned after high school graduation (or equivalent), who are under 21 and not living with their legal guardian in the local area must live in UNC's housing system through the completion of the first academic year of their attendance.  Academic contracts are for both fall and spring semesters. (Local area is defined by school district. Included school districts are Ault Highland RE-9, Eaton RE-2, Greeley 6, Platte Valley RE-7, Poudre R-1, Thompson R-2J, Weld County RE-5J, Weld RE-1 and Windsor RE-4. ) Credits earned through Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) or concurrent enrollment  with high school do not apply towards the live-on requirement.

  • How do I contract for housing?

    Soon after you have been admitted to UNC, an Admitted Student Guide will be mailed to you. This publication includes an admitted student checklist that details the steps to take to submit your on-line Housing & Dining Contract. The contract should be completed by you and submitted on-line with the required $100 housing deposit. Students are able to request the type of housing that they want based on pricing tiers, as well as Residential Learning Communities and specialty living options on the contract.  For more information on how to apply for housing please see our Instructions webpage.

    Applications for housing are available by clicking on the "Apply for Housing" link and then clicking on "Login - Online Contract" webpage. At the login page, you will log in using your Ursa username and password account information.

  • What is the deadline for application?

    There is no deadline for sending in contracts - we guarantee housing for all students who apply for our residence halls. However, contracts are assigned on a date priority, space available basis, so it is better to send in a contract sooner rather than later.

  •  How are deposits collected?

    Deposits are accepted on-line via credit card or by mail via check (payable to UNC). Deposits are transferred over from year to year for those students who continue to live in the residence halls.

  • Can I cancel my contract?

    Yes, you can cancel your contract and receive a full housing deposit refund until April 30th for contracts beginning in the fall semester. All cancellations must be written by the student (not the parent).  On your written cancellation, please include your name, Bear #, that you are canceling your fall housing contract and the reason for cancellation.  The cancellation can be:

    • mailed to: Housing & Residential Education Department, Campus Box 38, Greeley, CO 80639; or
    • faxed to: 970-351-1950; or
    • emailed to: housing@unco.edu from the student's UNC Bear e-mail account.

    Contracts canceled by or on April 30th will receive a full housing deposit refund. Contract cancellations received between May 1st and May 31st will receive half of the deposit refund. Contracts canceled after May 31st will have the deposit forfeited. Contracts can be canceled up until the halls open. However, the deposit is forfeit. Once the halls have opened, students will be billed for the entire amount of the housing contract if enrolled in classes.

  • Can I move off campus at the end of the first semester?

    No. Housing contracts are for the academic year (both fall and spring semesters). You must remain in the University's housing system from August through May in accordance with the housing contract.

  • What happens to my room contract if I drop out of school?

    University withdrawal must be done when you need to drop/withdraw from all courses and leave the university.  Students who are planning to drop all courses and leave the university, for any reason, need to go to the Registrar’s Office located at Bear Central in the Campus Commons or call 970-351-4862. Students are required to complete an exit survey before the withdrawal will be processed.  Unless this procedure is followed, students will receive failing grades in all courses.

    Housing & Residential Education and Dining Services will charge a daily rate (per diem) to students who withdraw from the fall semester by November 11, 2019, and from the spring semester by April 13, 2020. After these dates, students will be charged in full for their meal plans and housing. There will be a full refund of unused dining dollars through the end of each semester.

    For complete information on the withdrawal process, please visit the visit the Registrar's web page.

  • If I take less than six credit hours, can I live in the halls?

    Students who are enrolled in less than six credit hours can request permission, in writing, to live on campus.

Room Assignment Information:

  •  Finding a roommate

    At UNC, you have the ability to select a roommate.  Prior to filling out the housing contract, you need to get the correct spelling of your roommate preferences' first and last name as well as their Bear number.

    On the housing contract, you will enter your roommate preference by entering their first name, last name and Bear number to confirm that they are someone that you want to room with during the academic year. If you do not have a roommate preference, the Assignments Coordinator will match you with another student by using the roommate matching criteria on the housing contract.

  • How do I get my housing assignment?

    New students can login into the Housing and Dining website to apply for housing.  In March 2020, new students will login to the Housing website in groups and assign themselves to a room.  Students will be able to move spaces until June 30, 2020.  More information can be found on our Instructions webpage.  

    Any room changes made after June 30, 2020, will be done by your Hall Director after classes begin in August.  After the halls open, if you would like to move to another space, you can fill out the Current Student Change Room Request Form on our website and also speak to your Hall Director about where you would like to move.

    Students who currently live within the UNC Housing system and want to sign up again for the following academic year, will sign up for housing during January, 2020.  This is the Call Dibs campaign.

  • Can I sign up for a single room?

    Single rooms are at a premium! While we do have some “designated singles”, most of these rooms are held for medical/disability situations. Other single rooms are usually spoken for during the “Call Dibs” process, when current students re-contract for spaces for the following academic year.

    If you have a documented medical or psychological condition, you are required to work the Disability Resource Center Office at (970) 351-2289.

  • What if I want to change my room assignment or switch roommates after the halls open?

    If you want to move due to a roommate conflict, please talk to your Resident Assistant. Your RA can assist with roommate conflict resolutions and make roommate agreements. If the conflict is not resolved, then residents should talk with the Hall Director about changing rooms. We also have a Current Student Change Room Request Form on our website that you can fill out. We try to work with students to make the most amicable situation possible. Because of space availability, we sometimes are not able to make the requested changes immediately.

  • I didn't ask to be assigned to a special interest floor. Why am I?

    If you were assigned to a “special interest floor” without requesting it, it is probably because the remaining spaces available were only on this floor at the time of your assignment.

  • Can I live with another person of the same ethnicity or religion?

    Room assignments are made based on the information given on the contract; ethnicity and religion are not included.

  • Does UNC offer family housing and graduate housing?

    Arlington Park Apartments is located just 2 blocks from West Campus and offers a variety of floor plans. This is a very popular housing choice and has limited availability.

My Room On Campus:

  • What kind of internet access do I have in the residence halls?

    High speed internet access is available in each residence hall via a hard wired network port called ResNet.  ResNet is provided to each residence hall occupant with an active housing contract.  You will need either a category 5 or 6 Ethernet patch cable to connect your desktop or laptop to the hard wired port.  Category 5 or 6 Ethernet patch cables can be purchased at various retailers.  Once connected to ResNet you will be guided through an automated online registration process for internet services.  (You can only complete this process in your residence hall room).  

    Residents will also find wireless access available in their Residence Halls via the wireless network name ”UNC-ResLife” and users will need to use the pre-shared key UNCReslife to associate to the network. In the academic areas, students can use the UNC-Student wireless network, and pre-shared key UNCStudent.    For a list of buildings and locations with wireless access or assistance with ResNet please contact the Technical Support Center (970) 351-4357 or search the IM&T Knowledge Database.

    For information about setting up your digital TV service, please visit our Campus Televideo webpage.

  • Can I put up my own curtains?

    No – Fire preventive curtains are provided for each room.

  • Can I put in my own loft unit/water bed?

    Neither lofts nor water beds are allowed in halls. Beds in the residence halls can be bunked and are twin regular size. Please learn more about University provided furniture on our What to Bring webpage.

  • What size are the beds?

    All beds and mattresses are twin regular size. A limited number of extra-long (XL) twin mattresses are available upon request for students 6'4" and taller.

  • Can I have posters/pictures on walls?

    Students are encouraged to decorate and personalize their room. Posters and framed pictures are allowed on the walls, but nothing may be attached to the ceiling, including stickers and decals. A limited amount of adhesive 3M products for attaching posters/pictures to walls are available at front desks.

  • Can I paint my room?

    No. If your room needs to be painted, you can request that by calling Housing Services. The room will be assessed to determine need/priority by Housing Services. All painting is conducted by the Facilities Operations paint crew.

  • What appliances can I use in the residence halls?

    Compact refrigerators no larger than 6 cubic feet maximum; microwaves of 1250- watts or less may be used. All open coil appliances such as toaster ovens and hot plates are not allowed. George Foreman grills are NOT allowed. All appliances must be UL approved.

    Visit our webpage for suggestions on what to bring to campus and what to coordinate with your roommate.

  • How do I receive my mail?

    Mail should be addressed to you in the following format:

    Line 1: Your first and last name
    Line 2: Building AND Room # - (example: Belford Hall, Room 120), 
    Line 3: Building street address (see link below for buildings by street address)
    Line 4: Greeley, CO 80631-XXXX * (See more information on zip codes on the Mailing to Campus webpage.)

    Please do not put "UNC" or "University of Northern Colorado" on any of the mail. This will re-direct the mail to the UNC general mail room for faculty, staff and department mail. This will cause receipt of the mail to be delayed to the student.  

 Break Housing Information:

  • Do I have to move out during the Thanksgiving break?

    No. Students can remain in the halls during the Thanksgiving break, however, they must register with the front desk. The Dining Halls are closed during Thanksgiving break. Meal service is not provided.

  • Do I have to move out during winter break?

    Yes. All residence halls, with the exception of Lawrenson and Harrison Halls, close at 10 AM the Saturday of each academic semester finals week. Residents must vacate the premises within 24 hours after their final exam or upon discontinuance as a student, whichever occurs first. Between Fall and Spring semesters, residents can leave their belongings in their room; however, they are not allowed access to the hall/room until the halls re-open in January for Spring semester.

    Lawrenson and Harrison Halls will remain open during the semester break for residents and, those students residing in other residence halls, can request to live on campus during the semester break for an additional charge.  Prior arrangements need to be made to through the Housing & Residential Education office at 970-351-2721.

  • Do the halls close during spring break?

    Yes. Residence halls, with the exception of Lawrenson Hall and Harrison Halls, close at 10 AM Saturday prior to spring break and then re-open a week later at 8 AM on Sunday prior to classes beginning. Lawrenson and Harrison Halls will remain open during spring break for residents.

    Students residing in other residence halls can request to live on campus during the break for an additional charge. Prior arrangements need to be made to through the Housing & Residential Education office at 970-351-2721.

Miscellaneous Questions:

  • How can I safely dispose of used needles and other sharps on campus?

    If you use injectables for medical reasons and need access to a sharps disposal container, please contact Student Health Services at 970-351-1919.   (Containers are offered free through Health Services.)  Students having full sharps containers may return them to the Student Health Center for proper disposal and may pick up a new, empty container, free of charge.

    Used needles and other sharps are dangerous to people and pets if not disposed of safely because they can injure people and spread infections that cause serious health conditions. The most common infections are:  Hepatitis B (HBV), Hepatitis C (HCV) and Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV).  Safe sharps disposal is important whether you are at home, at work, at school, traveling, or in other public places such as hotels, parks, restaurants, and dining rooms.

    Never place loose needles and other sharps (those that are not placed in a sharps disposal container) in the household or public trash cans or recycling bins, and never flush them down the toilet. This puts trash and sewage workers, janitors, housekeepers, dishwashers, household members, and children at risk of being harmed.

    For more information, please visit the FDA website.

  • There is a U.S. Census representative on campus. Is it okay that they are here?
    The U.S. Government will send census takers to campus to talk with students. All census personnel will show proper identification and will notify the Hall Director for the building of their presence.