Jump to main content

In light of Campus closure and as a precautionary measure regarding COVID-19, employees in the Office of the Registrar are working remotely in an effort to support our campus community. We ask for your patience as some services may be limited and response time may increase. Staff is working diligently to respond as quickly as possible to voicemails, emails, etc. We appreciate your understanding as we prioritize health and safety. Updates will be published to UNC's COVID-19 information page as the situation develops.

Veteran Certification FAQs

  • I haven’t gotten paid yet.  When will my money arrive?

    The VA can take up to 4-6 weeks to process a certification. You should receive notification through your eBenefits portal when hours or tuition/fee amounts are submitted to the VA. Estimate 4-6 weeks beyond that submission.

    UNC certifies to the VA in a two-step process. When you initially submit your Veteran Certification Request form each term, a School Certifying Official will submit your accepted hours to the VA. This first submission will generate payments for students utilizing CH. 30, 31, 35, and 1606 benefits as well as the housing and book stipends for students utilizing CH. 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill®) benefits.

    The second step takes place after the drop deadline each term. At that time, a UNC SCO’s will calculate tuition/fee amounts for CH. 33 (as well as other qualifying situations) and submit those amounts to the VA.

    The VA pays tuition/fee amounts for CH. 33 students directly to UNC. For all other chapters and for all other stipends, the VA will issue payment directly to the student.

    Please note that although a certification can be submitted 120 days before the start of a semester, the VA typically does not begin processing those until 2-4 weeks before the semester actually begins.

  • How do I know what benefits I’m eligible for?

    You can contact the VA directly at 1-888-442-4551 to confirm your benefits. For more information, please visit:  https://www.va.gov/gi-bill-comparison-tool.

  • What happens if I fail or withdraw from a course?

    Failing a course is not penalized as long as it is an earned grade.  Your instructor will provide a last date of attendance for any failing grade.   If you stopped attending a course for any reason, you must either provide the School Certifying Official with documentation to support mitigating circumstances or your last date of attendance will be reported and you may end up owing the VA money back for that course.  Withdrawing from a course must be reported to the VA and your tuition payment may be pro-rated to reflect the date of withdrawal.  If payment has been made in full, you may end up owing the VA money for the course.

  • I’m a full-time student, but I’m not receiving my full Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH).  Why?

    The VA verifies your attendance based on the actual dates your courses begin and end.  If you are taking a short-term course, the VA will calculate BAH based on your rate of pursuit on any given day during the semester.  Just because you are considered full-time by University standards does not mean that the VA will recognize you as full-time for the entire semester. 

    For example, if you are in 9 credit hours that run the full semester and 3 credit hours that lasts 8 weeks, you will receive your full BAH amount for the 8 weeks you are in 12 credit hours and a reduced amount for the remainder of the semester that you are only in 9 credit hours.  

    If you have any questions, please contact your School Certifying Official.

  • What is CoE?

    The Certificate of Eligibilty (CoE) certifies that you are entitled to benefits for an approved program of education or training under the Veteran Administration.