In The News!
- March 8, 2019: Dr. Brian Dauenhauer and The UNC Active Schools Institute were highlighted by UNC's Office
of Engagement! Learn more at the Office of Engagement's News & Events
- November 30, 2018: The UNC Active Schools Institute received over $536,800 from four grants this year,
recently turned from Lab to Institute, and they were also awarded the Collective Impact
Engaged Scholar award! Learn more at UNC News
- The UNC Active Schools Institute makes an appearance in several episodes of UNC Podcast,
Bear in Mind, created by graduate student, Dannon Cox!
- June 5, 2018: Episode 35: Dr. Russell Carson discusses UNC's role in physical activity promotion and the importance of promoting healthy and active kids in schools. Listen here
- June 11, 2018: Episode 36: Dr. Brian Dauenhauer discusses UNC’s Master’s in Arts and Teaching (MAT) graduate program as well as Bear P.A.W. (Physical Activity Week), a half-day-camp for children in the Greeley community. Listen here
- June 19, 2018: Episode 37: UNC alumni Veronica Adams shares her passion about physical activity and physical
education as well as her experience in UNC’s Master’s in Arts and Teaching (MAT) graduate
program. Listen here
- May 23, 2018: The UNC Active Schools Institute receives "Partner of the Year 2018" Award from Active Schools US, a national collective impact collaboration of 90+ school health and education organizations committed to supporting and promoting school-wide PA. Learn more at UNC News
- May 16, 2018: UNC is Selected as One of Two Partner Universities in the Active Schools National
Collaborative to address physical inactivity and obesity among youth. Learn more at UNC Magazine
- April 19, 2018: The UNC Active Schools Institute aims to get K-12 students healthier and more active
in their classrooms throughout the school day. The research-based collaborative aims
to put research into practice to inform development of programming. Learn more at UNC's Discovery Magazine
- July 14, 2017: Bear Physical Activity Leader (PAL) Academy 2017 was a huge success! The event featured
talks by Dr. Michael Beets as well as two former MAT students regarding their perspective
on the event's topic: "Active Kids Do Better: In Schools and During the Summer." Learn more at UNC News
- October 17, 2016: UNC faculty receive $700,814 grant from The Colorado Health Foundation as part of
the foundation's Creating Healthy Schools funding strategy to create a statewide system
of support that fosters thriving health and wellness environments, and addresses obesity
rates for Colorado school children. Learn more at UNC News
- September 24, 2015: Schulze Speaker Series: Active building healthier generations through active learning schools. Over 150 physical educators, administrators, activity leaders and University faculty members attended! Learn more about how Active Kids Do Better and read about the results and feedback from the speaker series.
News on the MAT PE-PAL program and other CSPAP Initiatives
University of Northern Colorado Unveils a New Online Master’s Program to Prepare Leaders of School-Wide Physical Activity
By: Russell Carson, Brian Dauenhauer, and Ann Pulling Kuhn
The Tribune, Greeley, CO:
Interview of Megan Babkes Stellino
Playground Curriculum Released
Play On! (2nd ed.) Pre-K-5 playground curriculum to promote physical activity and learning released in 2015
Author, Russell Carson, Ph.D.
Carson Named 2015 Research Fellow
Dr. Russell Carson was named a 2015 Research Fellow for the Society of Health and Physical Educators America, which is reserved for members who have made significant and sustained contributions to research, creative or scholarly activity, as well as related service.
School of Sport and Exercise Science Faculty Awarded I@UNC Grant for MAT PE-PAL Program
Looks like we don't have anything planned yet. Tell us about any awesome outreach events that we should attend!
- July 12, 2019:
Our 3rd Annual PAL Academy was a huge success! Thank you to everyone who played a part!
- March 28, 2019:
UNC Active Schools Institute will host another Tap Talks at Dratz Brewing Company in Loveland, CO!
- November 17, 2018:
The UNC Active Schools Institute sponsored Tozer Primary School's 5th Annual Turkey Fun Run!
- November 8, 2018:
UNC Active Schools Institute participated in another Tap Talks at Black Bottle Brewery in Fort Collins!
- November 7, 2018:
UNC Active Schools Institute told a story through data about developing physical activity leaders in Colorado schools to bridge student health gaps at the Thriving Weld Summit.
- November 6, 2018:
UNC Active Schools Institute and PE students led middle & high school students through a short workshop on school physical activity integration at the Student Wellness Summit at Colorado State University.
- October 29, 2018:
UNC Active Schools Institute hosted a booth at Greeley D6 Worksite Wellness Fair.
- PETE/HETE 2018 Presentations:
- Oct 18:
Assessing PETE Training in Whole of School Approaches (WOS)
- Oct 19:
Teacher & Student Behavior Improvements throughout a CSPAP-Aligned Master's Program
- Oct 18:
- October 10, 2018:
UNC Active Schools Institute hosted a booth at the UNC Internship Fair in the University Center.
- September 22, 2018:
UNC Active Schools Institute hosted a booth at Johnstown's Fall Fest.