Master of Arts in Teaching Physical Education and Physical Activity Leadership (MAT-PEPAL) Program
The Physical Education and Physical Activity Leadership program is housed in the School of Sport and Exercise Science and is delivered through UNC’s Extended Campus. This MAT-PEPAL program was designed to provide interested school professionals with the implementation knowledge, skills, and support to direct sustainable comprehensive school physical activity programs (CSPAP). It is one of the first degree programs of its kind to prepare educators to assume the new role of physical activity leader within their school.
Enable qualified leaders to transform schools into sustainable active learning cultures
To cultivate a professional learning community surrounding the education, research, and support for schoolwide physical activity promotion and programming.
Why enroll in the MAT-PEPAL program at UNC?
- The University was ranked #13 in “Best Online Graduate Education Programs” by U.S. News & World Report in 2015.
- The program is offered in a hybrid format: online during the fall & spring and two weeks on the beautiful UNC campus in the summer.
- Graduates will be prepared to coordinate a CSPAP to impact the physical, cognitive, mental, and social-emotional health of youth.
Teachers are being asked to develop and facilitate comprehensive school physical activity programs (CSPAP) that include opportunities for:
- staff involvement
- physical activity during the school day
- physical education
- physical activity before/after school
- family/community engagement