Colorado’s Free Application Day Extended to Three Days
October 13, 2021
There are a few changes to the fourth annual Colorado Free Application Day. This year, it has expanded to three days instead of just one starting on Tuesday, Oct. 19 through Thursday, Oct. 21, 2021. During that time, the University of Northern Colorado (UNC) is waiving application fees for undergraduate applicants submitted by Colorado residents. That includes first-time freshmen, transfer students, returning students and applicants seeking a second bachelor’s degree. Applicants don’t have to wait for the three-day period to begin their applications, though, they can work on their application now and submit it during the free app days.
Another update, first-time freshmen applicants have the option to include or not include their SAT or ACT scores with their college applications as Colorado colleges and universities are now test-optional due to recent legislation. UNC also adjusted the questions asked on its application to learn more about students in order to better connect them with resources at UNC.
Colorado Free Application Day encourages high-school seniors to successfully apply to a higher-education program and file their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
Colorado Free Application Day caps off Colorado Applies Month, a five-week campaign that guides 11th- and 12-grade students and adult job seekers along the application process.
According to the Colorado Department of Higher Education, the statewide push is designed to increase Colorado’s stagnant college-going and FAFSA completion rates. Despite being one of the most educated states in the country, Colorado sends just 56% of high school graduates to a college, university or certificate programs and less than 50% of students submit a FAFSA application — a key indicator of students’ likelihood to continue their education
To take advantage of the free application, Coloradans must submit a completed admissions application between Oct. 19-21. Please read UNC’s fee waiver process below:
- Common Application: Within UNC’s Member Questions section, answer these two questions like this:
- Do you intend to use one of these school-specific fee waivers? Answer: Yes
- Please provide your University of Northern Colorado fee waiver code here. Answer: FREEAPPDAYCO
- Bear App: There is nothing you need to do. Simply apply during the free app days on Oct.19-21, and the fee will automatically be waived for Colorado residents.
Snapshot of Last Year's Free App Day:
- 56,896 total applications submitted from Colorado residents
- UNC ranked the third highest in receiving applications at 5,837
- More than $2.3 million in applications fee savings
- 44% were submitted by students of color
- Almost 30% were submitted by first-generation students