Probation Support for Students
Academic probation is a bump in your road to graduation, and you have support at UNC to get back on track. Academic probation means your cumulative GPA is below 2.0, and you are on a warning until you raise it. You have 24 probation credits to return to Good Academic Standing. These 24 credits begin your first semester after receiving the academic probation notice. We count any class you complete with a standard letter grade (A-F) in a Fall, Interim, Spring, or Summer session.
If you are on academic probation and do not raise your cumulative GPA to 2.0 or higher after the 24 probation credit hours at UNC, you will be suspended. You will also be suspended if your GPA falls (or stays) below 1.0 while on probation.
A Hold is placed on your account that prevents registration for the following term. Your advisor or success coach will lift your hold after you meet with them and complete your requirements.
College of Education and Behavioral Sciences
College of Humanities and Social Sciences
Monfort College of Business
Contact the MCB Success Center at MCB.Advising@unco.edu Call: 970-351-1233
College of Natural and Health Sciences
Contact the NHS Advising Center at firstname.lastname@example.org Call: 970-351-3082
College of Performing and Visual Arts
Contact the PVA Advising Center at email@example.com Call: 970-351-2993
Contact the Soar Office at Soar@unco.edu or Call: 970-351-1391
Deadlines and Forms
Our deadlines are "hard" meaning there is no wiggle-room, so please plan ahead for your submissions. You might set an alarm on your phone right now, and set it 24 hours ahead of the true deadline to remind yourself to submit your materials.
2023 Appeal and Readmission Deadlines: MT (Greeley Time)
Rolling Deadline: submit by the last Friday of each month.
Use this form and deadline if you plan on returning to UNC for the Fall Term after being suspended and unenrolled for 1+ semester. The committee makes decisions the first Friday of each month.
Hard Deadline for Fall 2023 Semester: Friday, July 28th.
Tuesday, August 15th 2023 at Midnight
Suspension Appeals from Summer 2023
Use this form and deadline if you received a suspension notice based on your summer grades.
You will receive a decision on Thursday, August17th.
Resources and Support
Life happens, and adjusting to college is challenging. Use the free resources and support on campus to help you set and reach your academic goals.
- Review the Academic Standing Policy. Write down three questions to ask your advisor or success coach.
- Find the academic probation support person for your college. Reach out to them before you log off the computer today.
- Schedule regular conversations throughout the semester for increased success. Our statistics show that the more your meet with your probation support person, the higher your cumulative GPA will rise! Your first meeting should be within the first four weeks of the semester--and it is never too late to get help.
- Complete the self-paced Academic Success Workshop through Canvasto identify campus resources for classes, clarify questions about the Academic Standing Policy, and calculate a GPA target for the semester.
- If this is your first semester on probation, you are required to complete the course. If you cannot access it, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you are writing a suspension appeal, visit the Writing Center
- And make a plan to use the academic success resources.