Choosing a major outside of the sciences might extend the time it takes you to earn your degree as you'll also need to complete the graduation requirements for that major.
Two semesters of each are usually required for most podiatric schools:
- Two semesters of introductory biology with lab
- Two semesters of introductory chemistry with lab
- Two semesters of organic chemistry with lab
- Two semesters of physics with lab
- Two semesters of English (usually writing and literature courses)
Other recommended courses
These courses could also help you on your next journey:
- Anatomy/ Physiology
- Cell Biology
- Medical Terminology
During your time here, you should do your best to stick to this timeline. It will help make sure you're ready for podiatric school.
How to apply to podiatric school
Start by completing the American Association of Colleges of Podiatric Medicine Application Service (AACPMAS) application. This will then be sent to the podiatric schools of your choice.
We've outlined the general process below, but you can also learn more about the AACPMAS admissions process.
- You will need to complete and submit your application along with your official transcripts to AACPMAS. Each application includes a space for your personal essay, coursework history, list of activities and the names of your recommenders (letters of recommendation are typically sent directly to each podiatric school).
- After verifying your application for accuracy and calculating your GPA, AACPMAS will deliver materials to the schools you chose in the application. It may take 5 weeks for them to process your application after its been received.
- After reviewing your application and letters of recommendation, podiatric schools may then invite you for interviews.
- From here, you will either be accepted, denied or placed on a waitlist for each school. The next choice is all yours!
General information about applicants
Students accepted to podiatric school typically have an overall GPA of 3.3, science GPA of 3.15 and an MCAT score of 496. Podiatric College Information Book.
The average cost of tuition for the first-year of podiatric school was $38,254 in 2019-20.
The application opens August 1st and closes June 30th.