Dean of Students Office
Our purpose is to help all students be successful at the University of Northern Colorado. We do that by enhancing and recognizing student learning and personal responsibility through:
- Encouraging the positive growth and development of students
- Helping in the resolution of student issues and concerns
- Serving as an information and referral center for students and the campus community
- Assisting student learning through values-centered accountability by administering the Student Code of Conduct
How can we help?
We’re here to help students in navigating difficult situations and connecting with available resources . Come see us on the second floor of the University Center or send us a message to seek support.
Need to file a report or share a concern?
File A Report
Policies and Procedures
All students at the University of Northern Colorado are bound by the Student Code of Conduct (BEAR Code). The BEAR Code serves to outline student rights and responsibilities as well as behavioral expectations.
Effective January 7, 2022, the UNC Student Code of Conduct ("BEAR Code") was revised in key areas, including:
- Definitions of “Misconduct” (Section 3-2-204), to be more aligned with Colorado statute:
- Deadly Weapons Violations, Trespass, Controlled Substances Violations, Alcoholic Beverage Violations, and Forgery
- More detailed information about what constitutes Abuse of BEAR Code Procedures (Section 3-2-204(20))
- More transparent Appeal Procedures (Section 3-2-210), including:
- Detailed information about the role of Appeal Readers
- Expanded students’ rights regarding outcomes that may be appealed
Effective August 13, 2021, the UNC Student Code of Conduct (“BEAR Code”) was revised to include information in Section 3-2-201 that:
- The University does not discriminate based on disability in proceedings under the BEAR Code;
- A student with a disability who is subject to BEAR Code proceedings may request through UNC’s Disability Resource Center (“DRC”) an accommodation for their disability and the DRC will engage with the student in the interactive process upon such a request;
- All such requests by student are subject to an individualized process with, and decision by, DRC regarding disability-related accommodations; and
- Whether the request is reasonable and/or would be a fundamental alteration of the BEAR code is a matter to be determined on a case-by-case basis after the request is made.
The revised BEAR Code, with the revision described above, can be found at the following link: https://www.unco.edu/dean-of-students/pdf/Student-Code-of-Conduct.pdf