Want a career as a physical therapist (D.P.T.)? Most students choose to major in biology or exercise science from UNC before going to physical therapy school, but you can choose any undergraduate major.
Choosing a major outside of the sciences might extend the time it takes you to earn your degree as you'll also need to complete the graduation requirements for that major.
Each PT school has its own list of prerequisites. However, the following courses are required by most programs.
- Two semesters of general biology
- Two semesters anatomy and physiology (exact course depends on PT school requirements)
- Two semesters of general chemistry
- Two semesters of physics
- Two semesters behavioral science
- One semester statistics
- One semester of math (trigonometry or calculus recommended)
- One semester college writing
Other recommended courses
These courses could also help you on your next journey:
- One semester cell biology
- One semester biochemistry
- One semester organic chemistry
During your time here, you should do your best to stick to this timeline. It will help make sure you're ready for PT school.
How to apply to PT school
Start by completing the Physical Therapy Centralized Application Service (PTCAS) application. This will then be sent to the PT schools of your choice.
We've outlined the general process below, but you can also learn more about the PTCAS application process.
- You will need to complete and submit your application along with your official transcripts to PTCAS. Each application includes a space for your personal essay, coursework history, list of activities, GRE score and the names of your recommenders (letters of recommendation are typically sent directly to each PT school).
- Once applications are received schools might send secondary applications. These require additional information and ask short answer/essay questions. Once complete send them to each school.
- After reviewing your secondary application and letters of recommendation, PT schools may then invite you for interviews.
- From here, you will either be accepted, denied or placed on a waitlist for each school. The next choice is all yours!
General information about applicants
Students accepted to PT school typically have an overall GPA of 3.57, science GPA of 3.41 and an GRE score of 304.
The application opens early July.