Choosing a major outside of the sciences might extend the time it takes you to earn your degree as you'll also need to complete the graduation requirements for that major.
Two semesters of each are usually required for most pharmacy schools:
- Two semesters of introductory biology with lab
- Two semesters of introductory chemistry with lab
- Two semesters of organic chemistry with lab
- Two semesters biochemistry
- One or two semesters general physics
- Two semesters anatomy and physiology with lab
- Two semesters of english
- One or two semesters calculus
- One semester microbiology
- One semester public speaking
- One semester statistics
- One semester economics
- one semester psychology
During your time here, you should do your best to stick to this timeline. It will help make sure you're ready for pharmacy school.
How to apply to pharmacy school
Start by completing the PharmCAS application. This will then be sent to the pharmacy schools of your choice.
We've outlined the general process below, but you can also learn more about the PharmCAS application and admission process.
- You will need to complete and submit your application along with your official transcripts to PharmCAS. Each application includes a space for your personal essay, coursework history, list of activities, PCAT score and the names of your recommenders (letters of recommendation are typically sent directly to each pharmacy school).
- Once school receive applications you may be sent a secondary application. It requires additional information and ask short answer/essay questions. Fill out applications and send to each school.
- After reviewing your application and letters of recommendation, pharmacy schools may then invite you for interviews.
- From here, you will either be accepted, denied or placed on a waitlist for each school. The next choice is all yours!
General information about applicants
Students accepted to pharmacy school typically have an overall GPA of 3.31, science GPA of 3.15 and an PCAT score in the 76th percentile.
The application opens in July.