Jump to main content

Health and Safety Resources

Employee Assistance Program

Employee Assistance Program (EAP) Counseling is provided to all UNC employees by the professional staff of the UNC Counseling Center.  Faculty, Administrative/Exempt, and Classified employees, in addition to their household members, are eligible to receive up to ten free counseling sessions per year.  Counseling is confidential and available at no cost.  The location is conveniently located on campus in Cassidy Hall.  For more information or to schedule an appointment, call the UNC Counseling Center at 970-351-2496. Learn more about EAP services on the UNC Counseling Center’s website.


The CARE Team (Concern and Respond Effectively) is designed to respond to University of Northern Colorado students of concern, to identify referral options for the student and to make recommendations for actions to the Dean of Students office or other campus officials as appropriate. The Team’s goal is to offer recommendations that promote student health, safety, success, and retention.

The Team also serves as a coordinating entity in responding to critical incidents that affect students, staff and the greater campus community. If a threat is identified during a critical incident, a smaller group of individuals from the CARE Team (determined based upon the incident) will join to coordinate a response to the threat.

If you are unsure about bringing a person to the attention of the CARE Team, contact Student Outreach and Support (SOS) at either 970-351-2001 or dos@unco.edu for more information.

Ergonomic Evaluation

If you are experiencing musculoskeletal symptoms and want to receive resources to help address these issues at work (such as a standing desk or ergonomic chair) Human Resources can assist you in getting an ergonomic evaluation of your workspace.

Would you like more information? Check out our Ergonomic Evaluation overview or contact HR for more information. 

UNC Health Center

The Student Health Center is now able to provide healthcare for minor illness or injury to UNC faculty and staff. While not intended to replace your primary care physician or to treat work-related injuries, the Student Health Center can help you access care for a variety of minor health issues.

Campus Rec Center

The purpose of the Campus Recreation Wellness Program is to promote a holistic approach to health trough innovative and quality programming.  The Campus Recreation Center offers fitness and recreation programs, intramural and club sports, and special events and wellness education. More information about the Campus Recreation Center.

Annual Campus Security and Fire Safety Report

The University of Northern Colorado is committed to providing a safe and secure campus where the pursuit of higher education can take place while balancing individual rights, responsibilities, and freedoms. The University of Northern Colorado is an open campus that has traditionally experienced a relatively low crime rate. Although the possibility of a criminal act occurring against a member of the University community is statistically low, criminal activity does occasionally take place on campus. It is for this reason the University continually strives to upgrade the campus’ physical security, improve crime reduction programs, and provide proactive policing.


Workers' Compensation

The Workers Compensation Act of Colorado exists to ensure the quick and efficient delivery of disability and medical benefits to injured workers at a reasonable cost to employers. Workers compensation insurance covers work-related injuries and disease. Benefits include medical, wage loss, and death benefits.

When workers are injured on the job, it must be reported to the supervisor and to Human Resources within four working days of the occurrence. The employee must complete a First Report of Injury form at the Human Resources office. If the injury is life or limb threatening, the employee should seek immediate medical attention at the nearest emergency room. Otherwise a Human Resources representative will schedule an appointment for the employee with UNC's designated medical provider.


Notice to UNC Employees

Your employer is insured under the Workers’ Compensation Act by PINNACOL ASSURANCE

If you are injured or sustain an occupational illness/disease while at work  please contact UNC Human Resources at 970-351-2718 as soon as possible.  You may be entitled to compensation benefits as provided by law.  Written notice must be given to your employer WITHIN FOUR (4) WORKING DAYS OF THE ACCIDENT.  If you fail to report an injury or occupational illness/disease promptly, Loss of Benefit penalties may be assessed against you.

No compensation is payable for the first three (3) days of disability unless the period of disability exceeds two (2) weeks.  Thereafter, the compensation rate while disabled is full pay for 90 days, then 66.66% of your average weekly wage, subject to a statutory maximum determined annually as provided by law.

You are hereby notified that if a child support obligation is owed, compensation benefits may be attached and payment of the child support obligation may be withheld and forwarded to the obligee pursuant to sections 8-42-124 and 26-13-122(4), C.R.S. treatment for treatment of injuries or occupational diseases. 

If you are injured while at work and medical attention is required, contact Human Resources**.  You will choose one of our designated medical providers and HR will schedule an appointment on your behalf.

In addition to any reports the employer is required to file, an injured employee may file his own claim for compensation and medical benefits in order to protect his future rights.  To obtain claim forms, if your compensation is not paid promptly during your disability, or if you require additional information concerning your rights under the Workers’ Compensation Act, contact the visit the Worker’s Compensation Division.

Workers’ Compensation Division
633 17th Street, Suite 400
Denver, CO 80202 
 ** In the event of an emergency, go directly to the nearest Emergency Room/Facility.

Workers' Compensation Clinics 

1517 16TH Ave Ct, Greeley, CO 80631
Phone (970) 810-6810
Hours: 7am-6pm Monday - Friday
Banner Health
2528 W 16th Street, Greeley, CO 80634
Phone (970) 356-9800 – Fax (970) 353-3182
Hours: 8am-5pm Monday - Friday
Physicians Dr. Robert Martino, MD
Dr. Glenn Waite, MD
Malcolm “Matt” Slaton, PA-C


 Frequently Asked Questions

  • I have been hurt on the job. What do I do now?

    Notify your supervisor immediately and seek medical care, if needed. Complete an Injury/Illness Report within 4 working days of the injury, and send it to Human Resources.

  • What if I do not report my injury in writing within 4 working days?

    You may still file a claim for benefits even if you are late reporting the injury. However, if you do not report your injury to your employer in writing within 4 working days, you may be penalized and lose compensation. If you are physically or mentally unable to file a written report within the specified period, another person who has notice of your injury may file it on your behalf.

  • What will UNC do after I report my injury?

    Human Resources will file a report of the injury with its insurer (Pinnacol Assurance) after receiving your Injury/Illness Report. This will start your workers’ compensation claim. UNC will provide you with a list of designated providers so that you can select a location to seek medical attention.

  • What should I expect after my claim is filed?

    Pinnacol Assurance will issue a decision regarding your claim. The decision will be either an Admission of Liability or a Notice of Contest (Denial). Pinnacol will provide a claim number and the adjuster’s name and phone number on the notice you receive.

    If you suffer an injury or occupational disease that causes you to lose more than 3 days or 3 shifts at work, and your claim is accepted, you will be eligible to receive wage replacement benefits if the doctor has taken you off work as a result of your injury.

    If you haven’t missed 3 days of work because of your injury, no written decision is required from Pinnacol. You should contact the adjuster with any questions about the payment of medical bills and the handling of your claim.

  • Who decides if my claim is accepted and I'm entitled to receive workers' compensation benefits?

    Pinnacol Assurance will make that decision based on the information provided by Human Resources and any statements or information you have provided. You may direct any questions to the claims adjuster handling your case. For more information regarding the process, you may call Human Resources at 970-351-2718.

  • Who will pay for my medical needs?

    If Pinnacol accepts your claim, you should not be billed for the cost of reasonable, necessary, and authorized medical expenses related to or resulting from your injury. The medical provider should send all bills directly to Pinnacol, along with the claim number. If you receive a bill for medical services, you should forward it to Human Resources immediately. Pinnacol Assurance is required to make payment or provide a reason for nonpayment.

  • What if I want to see my own doctor?

    If you choose to seek your own medical care, it may result in nonpayment of medical benefits and you may be responsible for your own medical costs.

  • How much will I be paid if my claim is accepted?

    No compensation is payable for the first three (3) days of disability unless the period of disability exceeds two (2) weeks. Thereafter, the compensation rate while disabled is full pay for 90 days, then 66.66% of your average weekly wage, subject to a statutory maximum determined annually as provided by law.

  • What if the insurer has not responded or has denied?

    Pinnacol Assurance may deny a claim (Notice of Contest) for a variety of reasons. You should contact Pinnacol to discuss the decision. If your claim has been denied, you may be responsible for all medical bills associated with the injury or illness.

  • Why might a claim be denied?

    Sometimes a claim is denied because the insurance adjuster does not have complete and accurate information. You may be able to supply important information to help the process. Remember to be specific when describing your injury or illness. A claim may also be denied if the insurance adjuster believes the injury is not work related or believes that further investigation is necessary.

  • Will I be paid for my time off from work?

    If you have missed more than 3 days or 3 shifts due to a work-related injury or illness, you may be eligible to receive wage replacement benefits. Benefits are paid by Pinnacol. These benefits will stop when you go back to regular or modified work or when your treating medical provider has determined you have reached maximum medical improvement

  • What is Maximum Medical Improvement?

    Once the authorized doctor determines that your medical condition is stable and no additional treatment can further improve your condition, the doctor will say that you have reached maximum medical improvement.

To complete a First Report of Injury, Contact HR at human.resources@unco.edu or 970-351-2718 as soon as possible after the incident.

Bear in Mind

Bear in Mind is a publication developed by the Environmental Health & Safety Department to provide information and guidance to the UNC community about environmental, safety and health issues. Issues come out every quarter.  To find current and archived issues visit the Environmental Health & Safety website.