The ELPS Program offers degrees at the master's, educational specialist, and doctoral levels and includes learning experiences to meet state standards for the Principal and Administrator Licenses. Our Teacher Leadership Certificate program and Doctoral Minor develop leadership capacity while providing for great flexibility in career goals. We are dedicated to culturally responsive teaching and leadership in all of our programs, including our Native American Innovative Leadership program.
We are fortunate to have a collaborative learning environment that emphasizes learning, teaching, and collegiality. Our faculty has a great deal of practical experience at all educational leadership levels to fully support and develop your leadership skills. We are dedicated to serving our students and ensuring their ability to lead positive change in the educational environment of their choice to improve the learning, achievement, and lives of children and communities.
Our program has been nationally ranked in recent years by U.S. News and World Report and is nationally accredited by the Educational Leadership Constituent Council (ELCC). The University of Northern Colorado is also a member of the University Council for Educational Administration which is the leading national association for the preparation of educational leaders and offers many networking possibilities to our graduates.
Please stop by and visit us on the UNC campus in Greeley.
The mission of the ELPS program is to train aspiring educational leaders to successfully lead organizations in the 21st Century to positively impact student achievement.
To fulfill this mission, the degree and licensure programs are exemplified by the following beliefs:
- Human growth and development are lifelong pursuits.
- Organizations exist in a larger societal context.
- Learning, teaching, and collegiality are fundamental activities of organizations.
- Diversity strengthens organizations.
- Organizations and leaders are accountable to stakeholders.
- Leadership encompasses a learned set of knowledge, skills, attitudes, and practices.
- Validated knowledge and active inquiry form the basis of practice.
- Morals and ethics drive leadership behavior.
- Leaders develop positive interpersonal relationships.
- Leadership in organizations depends on individual and team efforts.
- Leaders' behaviors and actions model their beliefs and values.
- Leaders effect positive change in individuals and organizations.