Counselor Education and Supervision Ph.D.
Gain the skills to lead in a wide range of counseling settings. Our doctoral program in Counselor Education and Supervision offers unique opportunities for learning and advancement:
- Work closely with top faculty who bring strong leadership and research experience to the classroom, in small classes with plenty of personal interaction.
- Choose an area of emphasis based on your interest, including children and adolescence, school counseling, couples and family counseling and gerontological counseling.
- Work toward your degree at a pace and on a schedule that fits your needs, with some online, weekend and evening classes available.
83 - 92
Ph.D. in Counselor Education and Supervision
This doctoral program is approved by the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE), enabling students from 14 other states to attend UNC at the resident tuition rate.
This program is currently under review for re-accreditation by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Education Programs (CACREP).
Take the next step! Explore courses, contact information and admission requirements.
In the Counselor Education and Supervision program, you also have the option to choose a 15-credit doctoral minor as a substitute for the emphasis area requirement. Minors include:
At UNC, not only will you have access to research and experiential learning opportunities that will advance your career, you’ll benefit from the close mentorship of dedicated, accessible faculty who are here to help you succeed.
Consider UNC's Ph.D. in Counselor Education and Supervision if you:
- Have a master’s degree and want to take your counseling career to the next level
- Desire to help people and contribute to society through teaching, scholarship and service
- How to apply theory and skills of supervision, as well as develop your own personal style of supervision
- How to design, deliver and evaluate course curriculum for counselor training programs at the graduate level
- Methods to advance the field of counseling and counselor education through qualitative and quantitative research
- Leadership skills for professional organizations and counseling programs
- Practicum in Counseling
- Practicum in Group Facilitation
- Seminar in Counselor Supervision and Theory
- Professional Development Seminar in Counselor Education
- Seminar in Advanced Multicultural Perspectives in Counselor Education and Supervision
- Advanced Research Methods
Jennifer Murdock, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Counselor Education and Supervision
A 2007 graduate of the University of Wyoming, Jennifer Murdock’s research interests include professional identity and orientation, career counseling and career transitions and the use of creative instructional strategies. She is a Licensed Professional Counselor and a Special Services Provider-School Counselor in the state of Colorado, as well as a Nationally Certified Counselor, a Master Career Counselor and a Master Career Development Professional.
Murdock is a noted researcher and co-author of numerous scholarly articles including “Understanding the impact of career values on career satisfaction: Utilizing card sorts in career counseling,” “Collegiate athletes and career identity” and “Best practices for online instruction used in developing an online counseling skills course.” A past recipient of the Outstanding Advisor Award at UNC, and the J.R. MacNeel Award for Outstanding Contributions to Counseling and Counselor Education in Wyoming, she was recently selected to participate in the National Career Development Association Counselor Education Academy.
Graduates of our Counselor Education and Supervision program pursue careers in a variety of settings as faculty members, advanced clinicians, couples and family counselors, school counselors, directors of school guidance or directors of counseling agencies.
You’ll also be qualified for licensure as a professional counselor, for employment in community agencies, schools, counseling centers, employee assistance programs and private practice.
Ready for what's next? Here's what you need to know.
If there's anything else we can do, be sure to connect with us. We're only a shout away.