Processing will begin April 2018.
- Complete the 2017/18 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If you have already done this, you do not need to do another one.
- If UNC was not listed as a school, please add UNC, the school code is 001349. The deadline for the 2017/18 FAFSA is June 30th, 2018.
- Enroll in classes. See Enrollment Requirements below for minimum credits needed. We will identify any student who has enrolled, has a FAFSA and remaining eligibility. Awards will be based on these conditions.
- The deadline for summer awarding is July 30, 2018.
- In most cases, summer aid will consist of any Federal Pell Grant (undergraduate only) eligibility and any remaining yearly Federal Direct Loans (Subsidized, Unsubsidized, PLUS and Grad PLUS). Please see the Loan Section for more information on these programs.
- If you enrolled in any previous terms and you have exhausted your annual limits for financial aid and federal aid may not be available. A counselor can help you determine this. If you have exhausted current year limits or just need additional aid, Private Alternative Loans may still be available (See Private (Alternative) Loans on the ‘Loans’ section for more.
- Undergraduate students must enroll in a minimum of 1 credit (Federal Pell Grant) and 6 credits (Federal Loans).
- Graduate students must enroll in a minimum of 5 credits (Federal Loans).
- Courses must be applicable to your degree program to count as eligible credits for aid purposes.
- Be admitted to a degree seeking program.
- Complete all needed requirements, institutional and those needed for the FAFSA (see Ursa).
- Be maintaining Satisfactory Academic Progress (see Maintaining Your Aid). If you’re a continuing student, your awards for summer may have been offered prior to academic progress being measured from the prior Spring term. In the case where academic progress from current or prior enrollment results in your being deemed ineligible for aid, your aid for summer will be canceled from that point forward.
- If you received aid in the previous term and have remaining eligibility, your requirements (promissory note and counseling) may already be completed but please review Ursa on a regular basis to be sure.
- New Stafford loans accepted for summer will require completion of a Direct Loan Promissory Note and Loan Entrance Counseling.
- New PLUS loans will require a credit check/application at www.studentloans.gov. Parents already with a loan may require a new credit check depending on the length of time since the last credit check.
- New Graduate PLUS loans will require a credit check/application at www.studentloans.gov.
- Summer aid will disburse no earlier than 3 days before the first summer term you attend.
- Receipt of financial aid may not coincide with your billing due date.
Note: Students who enroll but fail to attend class will have their aid canceled or adjusted to reflect engagement and will need to repay funds received.
If you have any questions about summer financial aid please contact our office at email@example.com, by phone at (970) 351-2502 or by visiting us is Carter Hall 1005.