Teacher Education Faculty
The UNC Faculty Constitution provides for the appointment of faculty to be members of the Teacher Education Faculty. It also provides for the Professional Education Council (PEC) to be the representative council of the Teacher Education Faculty. Teacher Education Faculty members are appointed by the President of the University, upon recommendation of the Dean of the College of Education & Behavioral Sciences, based on criteria specified in the Constitution. Faculty members initiate the process and are nominated by their School Director/Department Chair.
The nomination is reviewed and endorsed by their academic dean (if in a College other than Education & Behavioral Sciences), and forwarded to the Dean of the College of Education & Behavioral Sciences for review. In addition to the review for initial appointment to the Teacher Education Faculty, the Dean of the College of Education & Behavioral Sciences is responsible for reviewing each member of the Teacher Education Faculty for continuing membership at least once every five years.
Per the Board Policy Manual, in order to qualify for nomination to membership in the Teacher Education Faculty, a faculty member shall have significant involvement in the preparation of teachers and/or other educational personnel; shall meet appropriate standards of academic and professional preparation and experience; shall have continuing experience in some appropriate level of schools from pre-school to adult; shall have a commitment to the preparation of teachers and other educational personnel who will provide instruction or service in a multicultural society; and shall meet additional criteria approved by the President 2-3-107(4) (b).
Per the Board Policy Manual, the powers of the Teacher Education Faculty are as follows: 2-3-107(4) (c)
- The Teacher Education Faculty shall elect members of its governing unit, the PEC.
- Through the PEC, the Teacher Education Faculty, in consultation with the affected academic units, shall have the power to recommend policies for design, implementation, operation, evaluation, and modification of the teacher education programs of the University.
- The Teacher Education Faculty shall have the power to review all actions by the PEC whenever such actions are appealed by a written request signed by at least ten percent of the Teacher Education Faculty and submitted to the dean of the College of Education and Behavior Sciences.
The Teacher Education Faculty application for appointment/reappointment can be completed electronically. Faculty members complete the Teacher Education Faculty application, sign it by typing their name and date in the appropriate fields and email the application form and vitae to:
- Director/Chair for approval and signature
- Director/Chair emails to College Dean for approval signature
- College Dean will email completed form and faculty vitae back to firstname.lastname@example.org in the College of Education & Behavioral Sciences Dean’s Office.
error If Director/Chair and/or Dean does NOT recommend faculty for Teacher Education Faculty membership, the Director/Chair and/or Dean must email the application back to the applicant. Applicant can then decide whether he or she wants to pursue Teacher Education Faculty membership.