Hours: Starting in March, 2020, the RCL moved to fully remote service delivery in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. This fall (2021), we will continue with remote services and will also offer in-lab services. RCL consultants are typically available to provide consultation, by appointment, between 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM Monday through Friday; however, depending on consultant availability, consultants are able to offer remote and weekend consultation on an as-need basis.
Research Consulting Lab
The Applied Statistic and Research Methods (ASRM) Research Consulting Lab is committed to providing UNC faculty, staff, and students with free consultation on research and survey design, data collection and management, statistical analysis, and evaluation. Research consultants have extensive training in applied statistics and research methods, and can offer advice for both quantitative and qualitative research. The Research Consulting Lab also strives to provide appropriate introductory training with common data analysis software.
Consulting services include advice and training:
- Designing studies
- Designing surveys
- Selecting methods of data collection
- Selecting methods of data storage and management
- Selecting and implementing statistical analyses
Research consultants are available on a drop-in basis or by appointment. To make an appointment, please email the Research Consulting Lab (email@example.com). For assistance with research projects, clients should anticipate approximately 2-4 weeks of interaction with consultants, exact duration dependent on the scale of the project.
Information about statistical topics, software assistance, and a current schedule of workshops can be found on the RCL Sharepoint site.
Make an Appointment
We are available to make appointments either by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or in person at 537 McKee Hall. It is better to see us as you are beginning your research project; we would be glad to help you with your research question and work with you through to the end!
The Research Consulting Lab is closed on University holidays.
- Consultants are there to assist you, not to perform analysis: it is a learning process for you
- Give yourself plenty of time as many sessions may be required.
- Consultant may need a few days to a week to consider the problem
What to Bring
- Research questions
- For survey research, bring a copy of your questionnaire
- Description of variables
- Conceptual description
- Operational definition (how they were/will be measured)
- Data file
- In raw form
- Excel file is preferred
Planning Your Study
- Research question(s)
- Too broad
- Too many
- Research design
- Appropriate statistical analysis
- Provide suggestion on how to set up your data file (e.g., format, missing data, code book)
After Data Collection
- Data cleaning and management
- It could be time consuming
- Preliminary analysis
- Descriptive statistics
- Psychometrics (e.g., reliability and factor analysis)
- Statistical analysis
- Appointments may be needed