Definition: Any type of sexual contact, gestures, words, or behavior that occurs without the explicit consent of the recipient. Sexual violence can include rape, sexual assault, incest, molestation, sexual harassment, and cat-calling.
Please note that the UNC Code of Conduct refers to sexual assault as Sexual Misconduct. The Code of Conduct and law enforcement each have their own definitions of sexual violence.
No one deserves to experience sexual violence and the only people responsible for sexual violence are perpetrators. Sexual violence can impact anyone, regardless of sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
Sexual violence is not about sex; it is about power and control.
- 1 in 4 Colorado women is sexually assaulted in her lifetime.
- 1 in 17 Colorado men is sexually assaulted in his lifetime.
- Nationally, approximately 87% of sexual assaults are committed to someone known to the survivor, but at UNC, 99% of survivors who sought services at ASAP knew their perpetrators.
Oppression is a root cause of gender-based violence. Individuals with minoritized identities often experience higher rates of gender-based violence because perpetrators of violence intentionally abuse individuals who they perceive as accessible, vulnerable, and less credible in our society.
- 46% of bisexual women have been raped, compared to 17% of heterosexual women and 13% of lesbians.
- 40% of gay men and 47% of bisexual men have experienced sexual violence, compared to 21% of heterosexual men.
- 47% of transgender people are sexually assaulted at some point in their lifetime.
- More than 90% of all people with developmental disabilities/alter-abilities will experience sexual assault
- 34% or more than one in three Native women will be raped during their
lifetime, which is a higher rate than women of any other race.
support & resources
If you have experienced or are experiencing sexual violence, resources are available to you.
If you are supporting someone who has experienced sexual violence, resources are available to you.
Crisis Line: 970-351-4040