Social Media at UNC
Social media channels such as Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, YouTube, LinkedIn and blogs present an opportunity to enter into a conversation and manage key communications with the university’s various constituents.
The use of social media carries a responsibility to use it wisely and according to best practices. Questions to ask include:
- Does my area need a social media site for communication/relationship building?
- What are the goals of the site?
- Who will keep the content fresh and engage with the users on a daily basis?
- How will I communicate the community etiquette of the site?
- How will I know if the site is successful?
The university has several university level sites and supports the development of appropriate department/organization/committee sites. Approved sites will be listed on the university's social media portal to allow audiences to choose the areas they are interested in.
To have your page listed on the UNC social media portal:
- Read the guidelines and best practices documents.
- Create the page or account but do not promote it or link to it yet.
- Submit the approval form.
- Once Web Communications notifies you of approval, you can promote the page. If the page is not approved, it can be deleted.
- Check the social media portal in 48 hours portal to see if it has been listed.
Contact Rob Trubia with questions.