Jump to main content

Financial Support

On-Campus MA SLP Program

A majority of graduate students in this degree program receive financial support. Funding may be found through a variety of sources including the NHS Student Research Fund, Western Regional Graduate Program, UNC Office of Financial Aid, UNC Graduate School and the Communication Sciences & Disorders Program Area.  Information about these opportunities is provided below. 

Phelps Family Speech-Language Pathology Graduate CAP Scholarship

The Phelps Family Speech-Language Pathology Graduate CAP Scholarship was created by the Phelps Family CAP Trust.

Additionally, through these CAP Student Research Grants and Awards, the Donors also desire to share an understanding of three (3) “CAP” values and behaviors which the Donors believe are among the foundation pillars for building and living meaningful lives:

  • Contribute…by volunteering time and personal skills, talents, abilities, experience and passion around issues in service to the community;
  • Achieve…by displaying a bias toward action and performance (including academically), self-reliance, persevering, and overcoming obstacles to accomplishing goals;
  • Pay-it-forward…by impacting the lives of others in meaningful and positive ways to them through small or large, random or planned, acts of kindness, caring, and “giving back.”

Learn about how to apply for the Phelps Family Speech-Language Pathology Graduate CAP Scholarship.

NHS Student Research Fund

Supported through donations by faculty, staff, and friends of the College, the Student Research Fund generates funds to support research and research-related travel by the College’s students. Funding is available for graduate students through the NHS Student Research Fund Foundation account. Learn more about the NHS Graduate Student Research Grants.

Western Regional Graduate Program

The Master of Arts in Speech-Language Pathology degree program is approved by the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE). WICHE’s 15-state region includes Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington and Wyoming. Under this approval, students from the other 14 states can attend UNC at the Colorado resident graduate tuition rate rather than the nonresident rate.  Learn how to become eligible for WRGP at UNC.

UNC Office of Financial Aid

University financial aid includes scholarships, student loans, work-study, and other programs. To be eligible for these university-wide programs, it is necessary for you to submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by March 1. Financial statements submitted after March 1 will be processed but will receive a lower priority and funding will be subject to funds available.

Scholarships are made possible through donations from private donors and alumni. Access to the Universal Scholarship Application, available through Ursa, is open each year from January 1 through March 1.

UNC Graduate School

In addition to participation in the Western Regional Graduate Program, the UNC Graduate School offers graduate assistantships and tuition assistance programs to help fund your education. Please see the graduate school website for information about how to apply to for graduate school scholarships. In addition, we have several Program-Awarded Scholarships you will be considered for.