Information Management and Technology
This strategic plan is part of a comprehensive plan to align the Information Management and Technology (IM&T) department with UNC's nine core plans. IM&T is committed to meeting the expectations of students, faculty and staff through shared governance.
IM&T's goal is to support campus by providing efficiencies through technology. This is accomplished by:
- Providing the campus with infrastructure that is scalable and efficient
- Reducing unnecessary complexities and fully utilizing systems already in place
- Consolidating and standardizing IT infrastructure to reduce costs through economies of scale
- Utilizing long term planning to forecast technology needs
- Reducing unexpected technology expenditures
- Utilizing our procurement process to hold vendors accountable and to protect our assets
IM&T strives to provide resources and support to cover an ever expanding service catalog. IM&T adopts new technologies that support academic missions and streamline administrative activities. IM&T will continue to evaluate the utilization of both academic and administrative hardware and software technologies. As cloud systems and services continue to grow in popularity, IM&T assess the level of service, security and cost associated with moving to the cloud. IM&T leverages the potential to build in greater business continuity and backup solutions through cloud opportunities.
Security operates with a risk based decision assessment to drive layers of protection for campus while balancing productivity and security best practices. IM&T collaborates with campus to build a culture that is aware of current and potentially threatening cyber activity.