Why become an Recognized Student Organization?
- Recognized Student Organizations (RSOs) may request financial assistance to host events.
- RSOs may request a mailbox in the Office of Student Life area.
- RSO can use most University buildings, facilities, and services at a discounted rate or free of charge.
- RSOs get free graphic design service for posters and flyers.
- RSOs may advertise club events via the Student Organizations listserv.
- RSOs can get a UNC hosted website and e-mail address.
For a full listing of RSO privileges and expectations, please review the RSO Manual.
Renew for 2021-2022
It's that time of year again! The Office of Student Organizations is now accepting "RSO Renewal Applications" for the 2020-2021 school year.
Renewal Process Changes:
- Guiding Document or Constitutions
- All Guiding Documents/Constitution should be submitted in the OSO template, unless your Guiding Documents/Constitution is associated with a national or international organization.
(Why? Our office reads 160+ guiding documents each year and the intention of this template is to help us be more efficient and have a faster turn-around for RSO Recognition)
- The Office of Student Organizations requires a roster of your members and officer, please be prepared to upload those documents too!
Click on image to download
To start a new RSO, you'll need to create a Guiding Document or Constitution for your group and fill out an RSO application. On the application, you will be asked to provide:
- Current club Guiding Document or Constitution (electronic copy)
- Names and contact information of officers
- Designate three officers to approve financial transactions
- Name and contact information for advisor
- A short description of the group (50 words or fewer)
- Meeting information (day, time, and location.
To get started, check out the RSO Guiding Documents/Constitution Guide which outlines all the requirements for RSO Guiding Documents/Constitutions. Once you're ready to write your constitution, use our Guiding Document/Constitution Template for a pre-formatted, "fill in the blanks" document.
Our staff are also happy to help you with your Guiding Documents! Send us a message to set up an appointment.
New Groups Recognition
If your group is new, please fill out the New RSO Application below. If you'd like, you can preview the application before starting.
Recognized Group Renewals
If your group is already recognized, you will need to fill out the RSO Renewal Form.