Why become an Recognized Student Organization?
- Recognized Student Organizations (RSOs) may request financial assistance to host events.
- RSOs may request a mailbox in the Office of Student Life area.
- RSO can use most University buildings, facilities, and services at a discounted rate or free of charge.
- RSOs get free graphic design service for posters and flyers.
- RSOs may advertise club events via the Student Organizations listserv.
- RSOs can get a UNC hosted website and e-mail address.
For a full listing of RSO privileges and expectations, please review the RSO Manual.
Renew for 2020-2021
It's that time of year again! The Office of Student Organizations is now accepting "RSO Renewal Applications" for the 2020-2021 school year.
Renewal Process Changes:
- Guiding Document or Constitutions
- All Guiding Documents/Constitution should be submitted in the OSO template, unless your Guiding Documents/Constitution is associated with a national or international organization.
(Why? Our office reads 160+ guiding documents each year and the intention of this template is to help us be more efficient and have a faster turn-around for RSO Recognition)
- The Office of Student Organizations requires a roster of your members and officer, please be prepared to upload those documents too!
To start a new RSO, you'll need to create a Guiding Document or Constitution for your group and fill out an RSO application. On the application, you will be asked to provide:
- Current club Guiding Document or Constitution (electronic copy)
- Names and contact information of officers
- Designate three officers to approve financial transactions
- Name and contact information for advisor
- A short description of the group (50 words or fewer)
- Meeting information (day, time, and location.
To get started, check out the RSO Guiding Documents/Constitution Guide which outlines all the requirements for RSO Guiding Documents/Constitutions. Once you're ready to write your constitution, use our Guiding Document/Constitution Template for a pre-formatted, "fill in the blanks" document.
Our staff are also happy to help you with your Guiding Documents! Send us a message to set up an appointment.