Events & Food for Student Organizations
It is strongly recommended that all Registered Student Organzations (RSOs) host 2 events per academic year that are free & open to all UNC students. The main marketing tool that RSOs are required to use for event promotion is BearCave, the university's official RSO involvement website, in addition the the University Calendar. Catering food at RSO events is common and encouraged.
One of many RSO privileges is mostly free space rentals throughout campus. Reserving spaces on campus are great for recurring meeting days/times, collaboration meetings, and hosting events. The Conference & Event Services department at UNC works closely with RSOs.
What information should RSOs know about reserving spaces on campus for club functions?
- The reservation request is a Qualtrics form that lives on the Conference & Event Services (CES) website. You need to fill this
out to reserve a space on campus.
- Also use this form to schedule your recurring club meetings on campus!
- Space reservation requests should be submitted at least 2 weeks before your event, depending on the size of your event.
- Space availability is not guaranteed until you receive a reservation confirmation.
- Many campus spaces are in high demand, so plan ahead & contact someone in the Conference & Events Services department early!
- You will receive a reservation confirmation via email once your request is processed & approved.
- Not all space reservations are free. OSO can cover costs associated with space reservations with advance notice & funding
approval. These larger spaces charge a fee (contact OSO/CES for details):
- Campus Commons Performance Hall
- Campus Commons Multipurpose Room
- University Center Panorama Room
- University Center Grand Ballrooms
- Milne Auditorium
- Lindou Auditorium
- Bank of Colorado Arena & Nottingham Stadium
- If you need specific equipment, tables/chairs, room layouts, audiovisual needs (such as Zoom/Teams meeting equipment), or anything else, you can contact your CES Coordinator that you are assigned once your space is reserved.
- If your event is outdoors on-campus, plan 30 days in advance at a minimum. You need to fill out an outdoor event permit. Your CES Coordinator will provide that to you.
- For larger campus and/or community events, planning needs to begin 6 months in advance.
- Larger campus/community events would include festivals, community events, larger events with food, etc.
- An example - The UNC Luau starts planning their annual Spring event in Fall Semester, 6-8 months in advance!
- The reservation request is a Qualtrics form that lives on the Conference & Event Services (CES) website. You need to fill this out to reserve a space on campus.
The Office of Student Orgs requires students to use UNC Catering for all events on campus. There are more affordable catering options for RSOs, please see your OSO Coordinator for updated options.
Since RSOs are required to use UNC Catering for every event or meeting hosted on campus, here are some planning tips:
- UNC Catering orders need to be submitted to your Conference & Event Services (CES) Coordinator at least 15 business days before your event.
- If you are too close to your event & need catering, try Subway or Einstein's Bagels. You can contact your CES staff to help coordinate order.
- The only not-catered food allowed at RSO events is pre-packaged snacks & candy and Pepsi products.
- Special dietary needs & restrictions can be accomodated and should be communicated with your initial catering order, 6 weeks in advance.
RSOs are NOT ALLOWED to cook/prepare food themselves for events. This is a violation of UNC policy. Food for events must be prepared in a commercially licensed kitchen.
If you would like to host a bake sale, please contact OSO 2 weeks before.
If your event requires a culturally-specific cuisine that UNC cannot provide, or other external restaurant catering, please contact OSO & CES at least 30 days before your event.
If you and your organization are interested in reserving a food truck, please contact OSO and CES 2 weeks in advance.