UNC Emergency Alert is a mass notification system that allows the university to simultaneously issue campus alerts to computer desktops, text messages to personal cell phones, and email to UNC email addresses during an emergency. The system, called Rave Alert and provided by Massachusetts-based Rave Mobile Safety , will supplement the university’s existing Web, electronic and telephone emergency communications.
Emergencies include critical, urgent and disruptive incidents. Examples of when alerts would be issued include, but aren’t limited to:
- An imminent threat involving UNC Police or other public safety authorities
- Tornado warnings and other severe weather
- Campus and building closures, and utility outages
Faculty, staff and students sign up for the service. Students have signed up when registering for classes at new student orientation, and returning students who have already registered have been invited to sign up when accessing their e-mail for the first time. Faculty and staff sign up by logging in to Ursa.
Students can sign up by entering the number for their text-capable cell phone when prompted during the Ursa and BearMail account activation process, or by logging in to Ursa, clicking on the My Account tab and entering the number for their text-capable cell phone in the UNC Emergency Alert box.
Faculty and staff should log on to Ursa and click the
”My Account” tab. Find the Emergency Alert panel, enter your cell phone number and click the “Save Changes” button. A “Your changes have been saved successfully.” message will appear in the panel to indicate your sign-up is complete. Phone numbers can be changed using the same procedure.
Download the Rave Guardian App to provide an extra layer of security for yourself and others.
- Adds another delivery method for UNC Emergency Alerts
- Speed dial to UNC Police Department*
- Text non-emergent crime tips to UNC Police Department*
- Text communication to UNC Police for our deaf and hard of hearing students and staff*
- Timers to have friends or family watch over you while walking on or off campus
- Important phone and web contact info for other campus departments
- Guardian Safety profile to let first responders know about pre existing medical conditions and emergency contacts.
To sign up for the app you must first add your emergency alert phone number in your ursa account, after 24 hours you can download it from your app store and use the same phone number to link it to your UNC Emergency Alert information.
*If location services are active using these options will also give UNC Police your location data for the duration fo the call or text chat to further assist officers in assisting callers.