UNC Emergency Alert is a mass notification system that allows the university to simultaneously issue campus alerts by voice to campus phones, text messages to personal cell phones, and email to UNC email addresses during an emergency. The system, called InformaCast and provided by Wisconsin-based Singlewire Software, will supplement the university’s existing Web, electronic and telephone emergency communications.
Emergencies include critical, urgent and disruptive incidents. Examples of when alerts would be issued include, but aren’t limited to:
- An imminent threat involving UNC Police or other public safety authorities
- Tornado warnings and other severe weather
- Campus and building closures, and utility outages
Faculty, staff and students sign up for the service. Students have signed up when registering for classes at new student orientation, and returning students who have already registered have been invited to sign up when accessing their e-mail for the first time. Faculty and staff sign up by logging in to Ursa.
Students can sign up by entering the number for their text-capable cell phone when prompted during the Ursa and BearMail account activation process, or by logging in to Ursa, clicking on the My Account tab and entering the number for their text-capable cell phone in the UNC Emergency Alert box.
Faculty and staff should log on to Ursa and click the
”My Account” tab. Find the Emergency Alert panel, enter your cell phone number and click the “Save Changes” button. A “Your changes have been saved successfully.” message will appear in the panel to indicate your sign-up is complete. Phone numbers can be changed using the same procedure.
Download the Mobile App
A mobile app for Android and Apple devices is also available for receiving notifications.
To sign up:
- On your mobile device, go to the Google Play store (Android) or App Store (Apple).
- Search and download the Informacast Mobile App.
- Launch the app and sign in with your email@example.com email address and password.
- Enter your telephone number.
- Follow the on-screen directions.