B.S. Earth Sciences: Meteorology Emphasis
The science of meteorology seeks to understand the atmosphere and its phenomena by considering the forces that act on it, the processes that determine its behavior and the interaction between it and the earth beneath. This program provides a broad background in meteorology and stresses practical interpretation of weather data and the importance of meteorology to many aspects of human endeavor.
The meteorology emphasis builds a foundation in the sciences that prepares students for graduate school and provides the experience necessary to be ready to take a job in weather forecasting.
- Weather forecaster: Federal government or private sector
- Broadcast meteorology
- Environmental consulting
- Weather data specialist
- Fire weather
- Marine meteorology
- Aviation meteorology
Quality Facilities & Resources
- Classroom and laboratory space
- Linux computer network
- Electronic weather walll
- In-house sound system
- Weather station and weather cam
- Affiliations with CSU's CHILL Radar
- Collaborations with the Center for Severe Weather Research
- Student Chapter of the American Meteorological Society.
- A NWS cooperative observing weather station
- UNC is a Member of the University Corporation for Atmospheric Research
- Access to the National Center for Atmospheric Research and NWS forecast offices
- Broadcast Internship opportunities
- On-campus broadcast experiences
Angel Enriquez is an Operational Marine Meterologist and Risk Communicator at Weathernews, Inc.
UNC's Meterology Program not only taught me the essentials for forecasting, but the professors/AMS allowed me to grow my network and bcome a professional in [my field]Angel Enriquez, Class of 2016