Course by Contract Information
An Honors student taking an upper division course (300 or 400 level) may seek approval from both the faculty member teaching the course and the Honors Program to explore some topic in the course more deeply as a way to meet a portion of the Academic Foundations requirements. This way, students can complete their Honors course requirements while also completing requirements for their major or minor(s).
Typical project proposals for the Upper Division Course by Contract Option include:
- doing additional selected readings from two or three unassigned texts followed by a summary report on them.
- undertaking additional research and writing a paper on it.
- working on a related project with the course professor.
- taking part in a hands-on experience to compliment course discussion then writing a summary on what was learned.
- completing a service-learning component with appropriate reflection
- completing on a related piece of faculty-guided research or lab work
NOTE: faculty may offer specific projects to Honors students in their class
If the faculty member teaching the course agrees to the proposed project, the student should submit the Honors Upper Division Course by Contract approval form, which can be found under the Forms and Documents page.
Students approved to do an Upper Division Course by Contract must:
- complete the approved project by the end of the last regular day of class for the semester in which they are enrolled in the course--i.e. BEFORE final exams.
- obtain instructor signature on the Experiential Options form verifying that the project has been successfully completed.
- earn an A or B in the upper division course for which the project is being done, or if the course is only taught on a pass/fail basis, the student must pass the course.
If all work has been completed successfully as noted above, the Honors Upper Division Course by Contract will be used to satisfy 3 course credits under the Honors Academic Foundations requirement.
Students who would like to do an Upper Division Course by Contract Option should first seek permission from their upper division course instructor and then submit the form for approval by the Honors Program NO LATER than the fifth week of classes in which they are enrolled in the course.