UNC Honors Program
Raise Your Expectations
Are you curious about the world around you? Do you ask complex questions and challenge yourself by seeking solutions where none seem to exist? If yes, then the University Honors Program at University of Northern Colorado may be right for you! The programs are designed to foster curious and motivated students by providing a small community of intellectually-challenging peers with extra faculty attention and the tools to learn how to think critically, make connections between disciplines, and then how to dive deep into today’s problems, issues and cutting edge research challenges.
Honors Interdisciplinary Program
Incoming Freshmen, current UNC students and transferring students with at least two semesters left to complete their undergraduate degree may apply for the Honors Interdisciplinary Program. The Program is designed to provide students in all majors at UNC the opportunity to complete honors courses without impeding their regular studies. Many of the course options count toward Liberal Arts Core or general electives for graduation. Honors curriculum is designed to provide advanced critical thinking skills and the ability to problem solve by providing in depth examination of challenging concepts. Students develop their own theme of exploration and are encouraged to follow lines of inquiry in their studies of most interest to the student.
Upper Division Honors Program
Current UNC students and students transferring to UNC with more than 45 credits may apply to join the Upper Division Honors Program. Upper Division Honors provides students an opportunity to work closely with faculty mentors. Students explore topics of interest, engage in experiential learning options, and complete an in-depth honors thesis or creative project in any discipline. Projects may include various types of research including field research, lab research, survey or interview research, with social science, natural science or humanities theses in the Research Path; or an applied or civically engaged project, business or teaching curriculum project in the Applied Path; or a creative writing, music, theatre, dance or fine arts project in the Creative Path.
The New Student Honors Retreat is August 23rd, 2019! See you then!
Through innovative programs and initiatives in the areas of curriculum development, undergraduate research, leadership studies, student development, and global and community engagement, The Center for Honors, Scholars and Leadership fosters a community of UNC students as they become socially responsible citizen scholars and leaders.
Quick Facts about Applying to Honors
- WE ARE STILL ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR FALL 2019 STUDENTS!!
- Applications accepted on a rolling basis, including throughout the summer months.
- Students applying for Honors Interdisciplinary Program are NOT required to have a specific GPA nor specific test scores. Students are accepted based on holistic admissions criteria, with preference given to students who have demonstrated intellectual curiosity and who are motivated to learn deeply and to develop critical and creative thinking skills.
- You are not required to live in the Honors Residential Learning Community to become a member of the Honors Programs.
- Students with more than 45 credit hours, whether transfer students or current UNC students, may apply direcetly for the Upper Division Honors Program.