GSA Newsletter: March 14, 2021
GSA Office Hours to Remain Virtual Until Further Notice
Due to COVID-19, the Graduate Student Association (GSA) office hours will remain virtual until further notice. If you wish to schedule a meeting with the GSA Director or other members of the GSA, please email email@example.com.
Spring Break: March 13-21
No classes during the week of Spring Break. Modified hours for Campus Recreation Center.
Graduate Teaching Assistants Moved Up in COVID-19 Vaccine Priority
Reposted from UNC Today: March 1, 2021
Governor Jared Polis announced on Friday, Feb. 26, that those individuals in higher education who work in close contact with people, especially indoors, and all student-facing staff, including instructors, professors, vocational educators and staff who provide safety and other support services inside the school, have been moved into the newly designated Phase 1B.4 of the state's vaccine distribution plan.
As stated on the state's COVID-19 vaccine phases webpage: "Higher education: The intent of this classification is to prioritize current educators who work in close contact with many people especially indoors, including all student-facing staff in community colleges and colleges. Student-facing staff includes instructors, professors, vocational educators and staff providing safety and other support services offered inside the school."
Graduate School Town Hall Meeting
The GSA hosted a town hall meeting for the Graduate School on Tuesday, March 2. Jeri-Anne Lyons, Ph.D., (Dean of the Graduate School and Associate Vice President of Research) gave an update on the state of graduate education at UNC and answered questions from graduate students in attendance.
Updates from the Graduate School:
- Dr. Lyons looking to publicize the impact of graduate students at UNC
- Wants to increase formal recognition of graduate students in the decision-making process
- Developing a new fellowship for doctoral students in the dissertation phase that will allow them to receive a tuition waiver and stipend while completing their dissertation. A call for applicants will be sent out soon with winners decided by the end of the spring semester.
- The Graduate School and the Office of Research producing three new newsletters: graduate student, graduate faculty and research. The graduate student and graduate faculty newsletters will promote teaching, service and research accomplishments of graduate students at UNC.
- Wants to grow pool of fellowships available through the Graduate School
- Looking to create funding opportunities for graduate students that encourage completion of dissertation / program
- Expanding cooperation with CETL office for professional development for graduate students
- Looking at expanding who can serve on dissertation committees
Graduate Student Appreciation Week (GSAW)
Monday-Friday, April 5-9
It's time again for Graduate Student Appreciation Week! The GSA will be informing the campus community about GSAW; hopefully your department / program will participate in this annual celebration of graduate student achievements and contributions to UNC.
- UNC GSAW Photo Album
- UNC GSAW Therapy Dog Playtime Photo Album
- Graduate-Professional Student Appreciation Week
Student-Parent Research Participants Wanted
from Katlyn Frey, UNC Family Support Organization
Are you a student and a parent? The UNC student-led Family Support Organization (FSO) is seeking participants for a mixed methods study about students’ experiences as parents in higher education. In particular, we want to learn about your experiences related to faculty advising, childcare, and reasons for pursuing a higher education degree. We hope the findings from this study will inform faculty and staff on how to better support student-parents at UNC and throughout universities in the United States.
If you consent to and complete this Qualtrics survey, you will have the opportunity to enter for the chance to win one of two $50 Amazon gift cards. You can complete this survey anytime between today and May 2, 2021.
If you would like an additional opportunity to enter to win one of two $50 Target gift cards, we will be hosting focus group sessions over Zoom with survey respondents on Friday, April 2, from noon-1:30 p.m. and on Sunday, April 11, from 8-9:30 p.m. You can indicate which of these days you are interested in attending at the end of the Qualtrics survey.
Focus group attendants will be entered for a chance to win one of two $50 Target gift cards. You are not required to attend a focus group session; these events and the Qualtrics survey are completely voluntary. If you are interested in only attending one of the focus groups and not interested in completing the Qualtrics survey, please email the primary researcher (Katlyn.Frey@unco.edu) for more information.
We hope you contribute to FSO’s advocacy efforts by taking this Qualtrics survey and/or by attending one of our focus groups.
Have a lovely day!
Family Support Organization
Katlyn Frey (Primary Researcher)
UNC and Me Survey Participants Wanted
From Shane Odiorne
UNC Students, Fellow Bears,
I think we can all admit that 2020 did not pan out as expected. Among the global pandemic and the ever-evolving socio-political climate, our personal lives have been unsettled. As fellow UNC community members, we care about your lives on campus. That means checking in on your mental and academic health and well-being. My colleagues and I created a survey to conduct a research project to better understand what you, our fellow students, are going through. We want to make sure that UNC has the resources, student services, and support to help our wonderfully diverse students succeed over the years to come.
Make sure your voice is heard! Please take the survey.
Following the link, you will be asked to complete an initial survey that will take about 15-20 minutes to complete. After you complete this survey, your name will be entered in to win a $300-valued tablet! Because we are interested in your experiences over time, we will send out follow-up surveys that will be shorter at about 10-15 minutes. The followup surveys will be sent out in the second month of every semester until Spring 2022. Every time you check in with us, you will be entered into the contest to receive a free tablet! You must complete all the surveys to win; however, you may stop participating at any time. If you have already participated in a survey for UNCnMe, please disregard this email and refer to the follow-up link we have sent to your personal email.
We hope that by the end of this project we can provide helpful information on the impacts of these unprecedented times on our students and campus. Rest assured, our team will take the proper steps in order to ensure that your identity and answers will remain confidential throughout the study. If you have any concerns, please feel free to email our team at UNCandMe@unco.edu.
Laurie Claire Landrieu
Erin Yosai, Ph.D.
Achilles Bardos, Ph.D.
Mobile Food Pantry
Tuesday, March 16
Y-Parking Lot (behind Cesar Chaves Cultural Center)
The Weld Food bank truck will be coming to campus to distribute free fresh produce and baked goods to members of the UNC campus community. Special thanks to UNC Libraries Professor Annie Epperson for rounding up a team of volunteers from UNC Libraries to assist with loading food into students’ vehicles.
This is a drive-up mobile food pantry. When arriving at the Y-parking lot in your vehicle, follow staff / signage and drive up to the Food Bank truck. Volunteers will load food donations into your vehicle trunk. No income verification checks for students, faculty, or staff wanting to pick up food. Please help spread word to your fellow graduate students and undergraduate students. Y-parking lot is the large parking area northeast of Nottingham football field, behind the Cesar Chaves Cultural Center.
If you have any questions or are looking to volunteer, contact GSA Administrative Assistant Francis.To@unco.edu
- Event Flyer (PDF) to share with students
- Parking Lot Map
- Weld Food Bank
- Annie Epperson, UNC Libraries Professor
- UNC Libraries
City of Greeley Food Tax Rebate
Greeley residents with total family income below certain levels qualify for the city's Food Tax Rebate Program. If your household is under the income limits, you can receive $65 back per person. Applicants must have filed their 2020 Federal Income Tax Return for verification and must have been a Greeley resident for at least ten months during 2020. Applications for the rebate program will be accepted from March 1, 2021, to June 30, 2021, at the City of Greeley Finance Department, 1000 10th Street, Greeley, CO 80631.
GSA Meeting with President Feinstein
Wednesday, March 24
Via Zoom (registered guests only)
UNC President Andy Feinstein would like to meet regularly with graduate students to answer questions and receive feedback from the graduate student population. The GSA is scheduling monthly meetings with the president in Spring 2021 and would like to have members of all colleges and campuses (Greeley, Loveland, Denver and Online) in attendance.
- Office of the President
- UNC 2030 Strategic Vision Plan
- UNC Strategic Enrollment and Student Success (SESS) Plan
Graduate Student Round-Table Moderators Wanted
Thursday, April 8
Faculty-in-Residence graduate student Danielle Wong (SES: Social Psychology of Sport and Physical Activity, Ph.D. program) is coordinating a round-table discussion on diversity, equity and inclusion in research and academic collaboration. The purpose of this event is to start conversations around increasing research and academic involvement with a diverse student body. Danielle is looking for graduate students to help guide discussions in Zoom breakout rooms. These graduate students can discuss their personal experiences in academia and suggest ideas and opportunities for undergraduate students wanting to pursue graduate education and research. The event will take place virtually on Research Day and graduate and undergraduate students are invited to participate/attend. Graduate students selected to be a round-table moderator will receive a $25 Amazon gift card from the Graduate Student Association. To volunteer, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cru Graduate Student Bible Study
Mondays, 6-7 p.m.
UC Council Room
This Cru Graduate Study seeks to be a safe community to encourage each other and to discuss and explore Christian spirituality. This study is open to graduate students and faculty of all departments. You need not have a religious or spiritual background. For more information, contact one of the Alicias below or fill out the contact card on our website.
From Luke Steinman at the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs:
Graduate-Undergraduate Student Research Mentorship Program Survey
We are in the process of developing a Graduate-Undergraduate Student Research Mentorship Program. This program would work to not only facilitate research partnerships between graduate students, undergraduate students and faculty, but serve as an additional funding opportunity for students here at UNC. We would love your feedback regarding your potential interest and what you might like to see in such a program. If/when you have the time, please fill out the link below so we can incorporate your thoughts and feedback into shaping this program. If you have any questions, feel free to contact email@example.com.
Link: Survey Link
From Victoria Flores, SES: Exercise Physiology, Ph.D. student
CBD Study: Participants Wanted
Who: Well-trained males and females ages 18-50, currently exercising 5x a week over the past three months
Exclusion criteria: Exclusion criteria include the presence of chronic disease conditions, such as cardiovascular disease, cancer or diabetes, consistent use of anti-inflammatory medications or medications that act through the liver metabolism throughout the duration of this investigation, used THC or CBD in the past six weeks or have a BMI above 29.9 classifying them as obese, any foreseen changes in their regular exercise regimen within the study intervention period.
What to expect: A total of eight visits (about eight total hours of your time), eight weeks of CBD supplementation.
Where: 1610 Gunter Hall (exercise Physiology Lab)
Potential benefits to you: Eight weeks of free CBD supplementation, sleep analysis, aerobic fitness analysis, anaerobic fitness analysis, body composition analysis (BodPod), sleep quality analysis, monetary imbursement upon completion.
For more info, call, text or email:
GSA Grant Cycle 03
The application period for GSA Grant Cycle 03 closed on Friday, Jan. 29. Applications are currently under review. Funding decisions to be sent out by March 26, 2021. Application for GSA Grant Cycle 04 opens on May 1, 2021.
If you missed a grant cycle application deadline, you can still apply in a later grant cycle as long as your activity took place during the current fiscal year (between July 1–June 30). For example, if you began a research project in December 2020, but missed the Cycle 02 and 03 application deadlines, you can still apply for research funding in Cycle 04.
Contact GSA@unco.edu with questions.
Link: GSA Grant Funding
Contact Your Representatives / Leadership at UNC
UNC Graduate Student Association
- Director: David Shimokawa, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Assistant Director of Graduate Research: Katy LaFary, email@example.com
- Assistant Director of Graduate Community & Climate: Margaret Sebastian, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Assistant Director of Graduate Student Rights & Appeals: Nicholas.Dix@unco.edu
- GSA Council Representative: Emily Phillips, email@example.com
- GSA Council Representative: Emily Romero, firstname.lastname@example.org
- GSA Council Representative: Tyler Hajek, Tyler.Hajek@unco.edu
- GSA Council Representative: Yo Han Lee, Yohan.Lee@unco.edu
- GSA Council Representative: Zachary McCarver, Zachary.Mccarver@unco.edu
- Graduate Council Appointee: Brittney Morgan, Brittney.Morgan@unco.edu
- Graduate Council Appointee: Mihye Kim, email@example.com
- Faculty Senate Representative: Hoyoon Jung, Hoyoon.Jung@unco.edu
- Extended Campus Liasion: Logan Schuetz, Logan.Schuetz@unco.edu
- Faculty Research & Publications Board Appointee: Oluwagbenga Agboola, Oluwagbenga.Agboola@unco.edu
- 2030 Vision: Connect & Celebrate Sub-Committee: Nicholas Harman, Nicholas.Harman@unco.edu
- Activity Coordinator: Amanda Jacobs, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Activity Coordinator: Salaheddin Sharif, email@example.com
UNC Student Senate
- Senate Suggestion Box: https://unco.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_e4clN1zEtIIWyQl
- Student Body President: Teresa Castro, Teresa.Castro@unco.edu
- Director of Campus Relations: Karissa Terry, Karissa.Terry@unco.edu
- Director of Finance: Briauna McFadden, Briauna.Mcfadden@unco.edu
- Director of Student Affairs: Elena Greigo, Elena.Griego@unco.edu
- Election Commissioner / Parliamentarian: Hunter Miller, Hunter.Miller@unco.edu
- Student Rights Advocate: Devon Bortfeld, Devon.Bortfeld@unco.edu
- Student Trustee: Alexis McCowan, Alexis.Mccowan@unco.edu
UNC President's Leadership Council
- President: Andy Feinstein (contact through Lori.Riley@unco.edu)
- Provost: Mark Anderson, Markr.Anderson@unco.edu
- Student Body President: Teresa Castro, Teresa.Castro@unco.edu
- Assistant Professor of Viola: Vijay Chalasani, Vijay.Chalasani@unco.edu
- Athletic Director: Darren Dunn, Darren.Dunn@unco.edu
- MCB Dean: Sher Gibbs, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Professional Administrative Staff Council (PASC) Chair: Lisa Grimes, Lisa.Grimes@unco.edu
- AVP Student Affairs and Chief Diversity Officer: Tobias Guzman, email@example.com
- VP for University Advancement: Allie Steg Haskett, Allison.Steghaskett@unco.edu
- Center for Human Enrichment (CHE) Director: Shawanna Kimbrough-Hayward, Shawanna.Kimbrough@unco.edu
- Faculty Senate Chair: Oscar Levin, Oscar.Levin@unco.edu
- Chief of Staff: Dan Maxey, Dan.Maxey@unco.edu
- AVP Enrollment Management: Kim Medina, Kimberly.Medina@unco.edu
- Chief Information Officer: Bret Naber, Bret.Naber@unco.edu
- Professor of Sociology: Kyle Nelson, Kyle.Nelson@unco.edu
- Chief Financial Officer: Michelle Quinn, Michelle.Quinn@unco.edu
- Executive Assistant to the President: Lori Riley, Lori.Riley@unco.edu
- VP for Student Affairs: Katrina Rodriguez, Katrina.Rodriguez@unco.edu
- VP and General Counsel: Dan Satriana, Daniel.Satriana@unco.edu
- Classified Staff Council (CSC) Interim Chair: Roni Secord, Roni.Secord@unco.edu
- Graduate Student Association (GSA) Director: David Shimokawa, David.Shimokawa@unco.edu
- AVP Marketing and Communications: Nikki Troxclair, Nikki.Troxclair@unco.edu
Contact Your Representatives / Leadership in Government
Greeley City Council
- Mayor: John Gates, John.Gates@greeleygov.com
- Ward I Councilmember: Tommy Butler, Tommy.Butler@greeleygov.com
- Ward II Councilmember: Brett Payton, Brett.Payton@greeleygov.com
- Ward III Councilmember: Michael Fitzsimmons, Michael.Fitzsimmons@greeleygov.com
- Ward IV Councilmember / Mayor Pro Tem: Dale Hall, Dale.Hall@greeleygov.com
- At Large Councilmember: Kristin Zasada, Kristin.Zasada@greeleygov.com
- At Large Councilmember: Ed Clark, Ed.Clark@greeleygov.com
U.S. Senate (Colorado)
- Senator Michael F. Bennett, https://www.bennet.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/write-to-michael
- Senator John W. Hickenlooper, https://www.hickenlooper.senate.gov/contact/contact-form/
U.S. House of Representatives (Colorado)
- 1st Congressional District (Denver) Diana DeGette https://degette.house.gov/contact/send-me-an-email/email-me
- 2nd Congressional District (Boulder, Fort Collins, Loveland) Joe Neguse https://neguse.house.gov/contact
- 3rd Congressional District (Grand Junction, Durango, Aspen, Pueblo) Lauren Boebert https://boebert.house.gov/zip_authentication?form=/contact
- 4th Congressional District (Greeley, Longmont,) Ken Buck https://buck.house.gov/zip-code-lookup?form=/contact/email
- 5th Congressional District (Colorado Springs) Doug Lamborn https://lamborn.house.gov/zip-code-lookup?form=/contact/email-me
- 6th Congressional District (Aurora, Littleton, Brighton) Jason Crow https://crow.house.gov/contact/email-me
- 7th Congressional District (Golden, Lakewood, Arvada, Westminster) Ed Perlmutter https://perlmutter.house.gov/forms/writeyourrep/
President Joe Biden https://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/
Graduate Student News Wanted
Do you have exciting news to share from your program or personal life? Been published or received an award? The GSA is looking for graduate achievements to mention in our newsletter and on our websites. Please send any info to GSA Administrative Assistant Francis.To@unco.edu