GSA Newsletter: January 12, 2021
GSA Office Hours to Remain Virtual Until Further Notice
Due to COVID-19, the Graduate Student Association (GSA) office hours will remain virtual until further notice. If you wish to schedule a meeting with the GSA Director or other members of the GSA, please email email@example.com.
Retirement Q&A for Graduate Students
Friday, Jan. 15
Register for webinar
The GSA will be hosting a webinar about retirement planning and investing with UNC's TIAA representative Jeffrey Metcalfe. Topics include: using the TIAA website to manage your graduate student retirement account, supplemental retirement plan, how to think about retirement, transitioning to full-time and general investing concepts. If you want to learn the basics about saving and investing for the future, this webinar is for you! Some links are provided below to retirement calculators and basic finance and investment resources.
- Register for webinar
- How much do you need to retire? Retirement calculator
- How long with your savings last? Withdrawal rate calculator
- JL Collins Stock Series
GSA Grant Cycle 03
The current grant cycle (03) application is now open. Applications can be submitted any time before Friday, Jan. 29, 5 p.m. MST. This competitive process awards grant funding to UNC graduate students to 1) give presentations, 2) attend conferences, 3) conduct research, and/or 4) engage in professional development activities.
Due to COVID-19, conference- and/or research-related travel will be reimbursed in accordance with UNC's current travel guidelines / restrictions.
GSA Meeting with President Feinstein
Wednesday, Jan. 20
Via Zoom (registered guests only)
Register for meeting
UNC President Andy Feinstein would like to meet regularly with graduate students to answer questions and receive feedback from the graduate student population. The GSA is scheduling monthly meetings with the President in Spring 2021, and would like to have members of all colleges and campuses (Greeley, Loveland, Denver and Online) in attendance. If you would like to attend the January 2021 meeting, please register below.
- Register for meeting
- Office of the President
- UNC 2030 Strategic Vision Plan
- UNC Strategic Enrollment & Student Success (SESS) Plan
Is Greeley, Colorado Safe?
The Graduate Student Association (GSA) frequently gets questions from prospective and incoming graduate students about safety in the City of Greeley. Here is a selection of some of Greeley Police Department’s 911 call log from December 2020. Highlights include:
- Suspicious man in vehicle just using a restaurant’s free WiFi
- Patient leaves dentist’s office, refuses to pay, and then pays over the phone 30 minutes later
- Suspicious footprints in snow turn out to be from Greeley water & sewer meter reader doing job
- Greeley Police 911 Call Log
- City of Greeley LexisNexis Community Crime Map
- 2020 UNC Annual Campus Security & Fire Safety Report
Looking for New GSA Staff Members
Interested graduate students can email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Graduate Council Representatives
- Graduate Council representatives study and recommend policy on matters regarding graduate faculty, graduate students and graduate studies at UNC. GSA representatives are members with full voting rights. Representatives are responsible for representing the interests of the graduate student population, taking notes at meetings, and reporting information to the GSA. The GSA appoints three graduate student representatives to serve on the Graduate Council during the academic year. Meetings in Spring 2021 are on the following Thursdays from 3-5 p.m.: Jan. 21, Feb. 18, March 25, April 15, April 29
- Student Senate Representatives
- The GSA Student Senate representative attends all general and business meetings for Student Senate. These meetings are generally held bi-weekly on Wednesdays from 5:30-7 p.m. The GSA representative presents the GSA report to Student Senate when available and represents the interests of the graduate student population.
- Grant Review Committee Members
- The GSA is seeking additional members to serve on the GSA Grant Review Committee. Members review research and presentation applications from UNC graduate students. Members also provide the GSA Director with feedback and suggestions on the GSA Grant process.
2021 Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Virtual March & Celebration
Monday, Jan. 18, 2021
Join us virtually on Zoom to start off with recognition of MLK, achievements of our community and guest speaker.
Everyone will be prompted to put on their MLK gear and participate in marching in your neighborhood, tag a selfie on social media showing your support, wearing your gear and walking in your neighborhood, park, etc. with #MLKGreeley2021.
Notable Courses: Spring 2021
Writing Qualitative Research (CRN# 23989)
Jan. 11-May 9, 2021
Tuesdays, 5-7:30 p.m.
An in-depth study of the role writing plays in qualitative research and representation. Students will use data they collected prior to the course in a variety of analysis and writing activities. Areas of emphasis include the journal article, dissertation, and publication process.
Educational Ethnography (CRN# 22626)
Jan. 11-May 9, 2021
Mondays, 5-7:30 p.m.
Provides in-depth study of ethnography as related to educational research including issues of ethics, politics, diversity and the researcher's role. There is an emphasis on critical and virtual ethnography. Students will propose and conduct a mini-educational ethnography.
- Maria Lahman, Ph.D. at UNC
- Maria Lahman, Ph.D. at Google Scholar
- Bear in Mind Podcast with Maria Lahman, Ph.D.: The Power of Research Ethics
Graduate Student News Wanted
Do you have exciting news to share from your program or personal life? Been published or received an award? The GSA is looking for graduate achievements to mention in our newsletter and on our websites. Please send any info to GSA Administrative Assistant Francis.To@unco.edu