Jump to main content

COVID-19: News and Campus Updates | Fall 2021 Plans

How to Receive VA Benefits

Step One


This is the first step to using the GI Bill and other VA education benefits at the University of Northern Colorado. Applications for upcoming fall semester open August 1st of the previous year.

Step Two


New Students: The next step is to create an account and apply for benefits through the VA eBenefits webpage. Most students will be able to follow the prompts and answer the questions to receive the correct benefits.

Transfer Students: On the VA eBenefits webpage, you will be able to follow the prompts and answer the questions to fill out the correct form.

Step Three


FAFSA is the Federal Student Aid program. Pell grants and many other financial aid benefits should not affect VA status or benefits. This will also allow students to be eligible for UNC scholarships.

Step Four

School Certifying Officials

In order to ensure a smooth process and avoid delays in VA payments, students must provide their DD -214 / NGB-22 (proof of service) and Certificate of Eligibility (proof of VA benefits) to the UNC School Certifying Officials, located within the Registrar's Office in Bear Commons. They can also be emailed at VA.SCO@unco.eduPayment may be delayed if this step is not complete.

NEW: You can now make appointments with UNC SCOs via Outlook: UNC SCO appointment link

Step Five

Register for Classes

Students must meet with their academic advisor to receive a PIN to register for classes. This step must be completed before filling out the next step. The VA will not pay for classes that are not necessary for your program.

Step Six


Fill out the Veterans Certification Request  located under the Student tab in Ursa. This step must be completed at the beginning of every semester. If a student adds or drops any classes, this form must be resubmitted.

Step Seven


Accept your College Opportunity Fund or "COF." It is Colorado’s way of providing financial support for resident undergraduate students. This does not affect your GI Bill allowances.

Step Eight

Check in at Veterans Services

Visit us at Roudebush Cottage to ask questions, grab some coffee, and learn more about what services and programs we offer here at UNC. It is highly recommended new and prospective military-affiliated students visit us as early as possible in the process to ensure they have all of the support they need!