Choosing a major outside of the sciences might extend the time it takes you to earn your degree as you'll also need to complete the graduation requirements for that major.
Course requirements vary depending on your optometry school. However, each of the following are usually required for most:
- Two semesters of introductory biology with lab
- Two semesters of introductory chemistry with lab
- One or two semesters of organic chemistry with lab
- One semester biochemistry
- Two semester general physics with lab
- One semester calculus
- One semester statistics
- One semester microbiology
- One semester psychology
- Two semesters of English (usually writing courses)
Other recommended courses
These courses could also help you on your next journey:
- One semester human anatomy
- One semester human physiology
- One semester genetics
During your time here, you should do your best to stick to this timeline. It will help make sure you're ready for optometry school.
How to apply to optometry school
Start by completing the OptomCAS application. This will then be sent to the optometry schools of your choice.
We've outlined the general process below, but you can also learn more about the OptomCAS application process.
- You will need to complete and submit your application along with your official transcripts to OptomCAS. Each application includes a space for your personal essay, coursework history, list of activities, OAT score and the names of your recommenders (letters of recommendation are typically sent directly to each optometry school).
- After receiving your application some programs may send you a secondary application. It requires additional information and asks short answer/essay questions. Fill out and submit to each school.
- After reviewing your application and letters of recommendation, optometry schools may then invite you for interviews.
- From here, you will either be accepted, denied or placed on a waitlist for each school. The next choice is all yours!
General information about applicants
Students accepted to optometry school typically have an overall GPA of 3.43 and an OAT score of 328.
The application opens at the end of June