Choosing a major outside of the sciences might extend the time it takes you to earn your degree as you'll also need to complete the graduation requirements for that major.
Two semesters of each are usually required for most medical schools:
- Introductory biology with lab
- Introductory chemistry with lab
- Organic chemistry with lab
- Physics with lab
- English (usually writing and literature courses)
- Mathematics (usually includes calculus)
- Biochemistry: some schools require one semester
Other recommended courses
Introductory psychology and sociology are recommended courses to be successful on the MCAT.
During your time here, you should do your best to stick to this timeline. It will help make sure you're ready for medical school.
How to apply to medical school
Start by completing one application that is sent to the schools of your choice.
- For MD program you complete the AMCAS application.
- For DO schools you will fill out the AACOMAS application.
We've outlined the general process below:
- You will need to complete and submit your application along with your official transcripts. Each application includes a space for your personal essay, coursework history, list of activities and the names of your recommenders.
- After schools receive your application, they send you a secondary application which requires more information and asks a series of short answer/essay questions. Complete secondary application and send to each school.
- After reviewing your application and letters of recommendation, medical schools may then invite you for interviews.
- From here, you will either be accepted, denied or placed on a waitlist for each school. The next choice is all yours!
General information about applicants
M.D. students accepted to medical school typically have an overall GPA of 3.7, science GPA of 3.64 and an MCAT score of 508.7. M.D. admissions requirement database
D.O. students accepted to medical school typically have an overall GPA of 3.54, science GPA of 3.45 and an MCAT score of 502. Student Guide for D.O schools