Want become an occupational therapist? Most students choose to major in biology, chemistry or sport and exercise science from UNC before going to occupational therapy school, but you can choose any undergraduate major.
Choosing a major outside of the sciences might extend the time it takes you to earn your degree as you'll also need to complete the graduation requirements for that major.
Each occupational therapy school has it's own list of prerequisites. Two semesters of each are usually required for most O.T. schools:
- One semester general biology
- One semester anatomy with lab
- One semester physiology with lab — check with individual school for details
- Chemistry — requirements vary greatly by program, check with the school for details
- Two semester english
- Two to three semesters psychology
- One semester statistics
- One semester medical terminology
- One semester sociology or anthropology
During your time here, you should do your best to stick to this timeline. It will help make sure you're ready for O.T. school.
How to apply to Occupational Therapy school
Start by completing the OTCAS application. This will then be sent to the occupational therapy schools of your choice.
- You will need to complete and submit your application along with your official transcripts to OTCAS. Each application includes a space for your personal essay, coursework history, list of activities, GRE score and the names of your recommenders (letters of recommendation are typically sent directly to each O.T. school).
- Once school receive applications you may be sent a secondary application. It requires additional information and ask short answer/essay questions. Fill out applications and send to each school.
- After reviewing your application and letters of recommendation, schools may then invite you for interviews.
- From here, you will either be accepted, denied or placed on a waitlist for each school. The next choice is all yours!
General information about applicants
Students accepted to O.T. school typically have an overall GPA of 3.7 and a GRE score of 309.
The application opens in July.