Jump to main content

In light of Campus closure and as a precautionary measure regarding COVID-19, employees in the Office of Financial Aid are working remotely in an effort to support our campus community. We ask for your patience as some services may be limited and response time may increase. We appreciate your understanding as we prioritize health and safety. Updates will be published to UNC's COVID-19 Information page or view financial aid information here. 

International Students

Federal financial assistance may be available to international students who qualify as eligible non citizens. Generally, a student is an eligible non citizen if the student is:

  • A U.S. permanent resident with a Permanent Resident Card (I-551)
  • A conditional permanent resident (I-551C)
  • The holder of an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the Department of Homeland Security showing one of the following designations:
    • Refugee
    • Asylum Granted
    • Parolee
    • Cuban-Haitian Entrant

To be considered for federal financial assistance, eligible non citizens must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). In addition, eligible non citizens must meet all other requirements necessary to receive federal financial assistance. (For more information, see the Eligibility section of this web site.)