K-12 Education (Art, Music, PE, Special Education, Theatre and World Languages)
Welcome to K-12 teacher education at University of Northern Colorado! UNC undergraduate students may seek K-12 licensure in art, music, physical education, special education, theatre or world languages. Each program combines rich content preparation alongside professional teacher preparation courses. At the end of your program, you will have the tools you need to inspire the next generation!
Future Teacher Conference 2023
Discover new ideas in teaching, explore the latest trends, hear from the experts and so much more. We look forward to seeing you on February 3, 2023!
Registration + more information coming soon.
Each licensure area has its own unique identity, course content and sequence. Please contact the content area advisor listed below for detailed information, including admissions information for each area.
- Special Education - Dr. Jennifer Urbach, (970) 351-1677 and Dr. Hasan Zaglawan, (970) 351-2691
- Art - Dr. Connie Stewart, (970) 351-2426
- Music - Dr. Mark Montemayor, (970) 351-2358
- Physical Education - Dr. Jennifer Krause, (970) 351-1755
- Theatre - Dr. Mary Schuttler, (970) 351-1926
- World Languages - Dr. Michelle Low, Chinese, (970) 351-1366; Dr. Christine Moritz, French, (970) 351-1260; Dr. David Caldwell, German, (970) 351-1575; Dr. Sumiko Gibson, Japanese, (970) 351-2240; Dr. John Ryan, Spanish, (970) 351-3105
- For K-12 Art Licensure, please visit the School of Art and Design webpage and view the UNC Catalog Information.
- For K-12 Music Licensure, please visit the School of Music Education information page and view the UNC Catalog Information
- For K-12 Physical Education Licensure, please view the UNC Catalog information and visit the Sport and Exercise Science webpage
- For K-12 Theatre, please view the UNC Catalog information and visit the College of Visual and Performing Arts Theatre webpage
- For K-12 World Languages Licensure, please visit the Modern Languages webpage and view the UNC Catalog Information.
Educational Theory and Practice: The PTEP Core
The PTEP Core consists of courses that address state and national standards. Topics include educational foundations, special education, reading and writing in the content areas, and educational psychology. For specific course requirements, please meet with the content area advisor.