University of Northern Colorado
School of Teacher Education
Campus Box 107
Greeley, CO 80639
- PhD. Instruction and Curriculum. Elementary Education (Literacy). University of Virginia
- M.A. Instruction and Curriculum. Elementary Education. University of Colorado, Boulder
- B.A. Psychology & Professional Teaching License. (state of CO). University of Colorado,
Research/Areas of Interest
Writers’ workshop, inquiry-based learning, literacy methods for elementary teachers
- Lawrence, J. & Moses, L. (2014). Classroom Parameters: How one student learns to take
ownership as a writer. Journal of Teaching Writing 29(2); pages 43-69.
- Hansen, J., Kissel, B., Tower, H. & Lawrence, J. (2011). The influential interactions
of pre-kindergarten writers . Journal of Early Childhood Literacy 11(4); pages 425-452.
- Kissel, B. & Lawrence, J. (2010). From Teacher to Reflective Practitioner and Researcher:
An Interview with Jane Hansen. Talking Points 22(1); pages 15-19.
- Lawrence, J.K. (2009). “You ain’t gonna make me pick another topic? How one writer
makes writers’ workshop work for him.” The Journal of Teaching Writing. Vol 24(2); pages 79-94.
- Lawrence, J.K. (2009). Breaking free: One teacher examines her own fears about writing
to become a better writing teacher. Colorado Reading Council Journal, Vol. 20(1); pages 14-19.
Honors and Awards
2016 Recipient of Sears Helgoth Distinguished Teaching Award