Housing and Residential Education
Emergency Training and Communication Procedures
- Extensive risk management training and emergency response preparedness training has occurred for all student employees.
- All residence hall staff went through a "table top" exercise that tested their ability to respond in the event of a natural disaster. Other table tops are routinely held on campus.
- Housing and Residence Life has a liaison program with UNCPD which partners one officer with one building staff.
- In the event of an emergency, communication will be disseminated from UNCPD to all residence hall front desks as part of the university’s emergency phone tree (the simultaneous call to 50 different phone lines).
- Front desk staff will notify hall staffs, who notify residents by going door-to-door and posting information, depending on the type of emergency.
Additional security measures consist of:
- All perimeter doors of residence halls are locked 24 hours a day and there is video surveillance in the residence halls.
- Students must present their UNC ID to enter
- Guest check-in requirement at residence hall front desks
- Each residence hall room has a peep hole for students to be able to identify who is at the door.
- The university has the ability to send messages to all residence hall office phones.
- 24 hour staffed information desks
- Continuous review of interior and exterior lighting
- Annual review and trimming of planting around halls which may pose security or safety risks
- Emergency phones located strategically throughout residential areas
- Emergency communications are hardwired into all elevators and in numerous campus labs and recreational facilities.
- Emergency Preparedness and Safety
- Emergency Phone Numbers
- Emergency Response Plan
- Communication with the Campus Community
- Campus Police
- Environmental Health and Safety
- Emergency Call Box Locations
- Health and Safety Report
- Health and Safety Referral Form
- MySafeCampus Anonymous Reporting Form
- UNC Counseling Center
- Assault Survivors Advocacy Program
UNC POLICE DEPARTMENT'S TOP 20 PERSONAL SAFETY TIPS
- Report suspicious activity on campus to UNC Police at 970-351-2245 from your cell phone (program it in), or 911 from a campus telephone.
- Report suspicious activity off campus to your local municipal or county law enforcement agency. Call 911 if necessary.
- Be alert and aware of your surroundings.