Make the most of your UNC relationship by tapping into the power of the Bear Network. Alumni career resources, events and groups provide you access to thousands of alumni.
If you plan to attend an upcoming event, like a Bear Network Alumni Career Panel, then we recommend that you take a few moments to prepare.
Whether you meet an Alumni Career Advisor one-on-one or meet during an alumni career panel, spend some time thinking about what you want to ask or talk about. Questions for alumni may include:
- How has your UNC education benefited your career?
- What do you find most satisfying and challenging about your job?
- What are three tips to help me develop my career?
- What are the duties, functions, or responsibilities of your job?
- What do you wish you did differently while attending UNC?
Of course you will want to tailor your questions to the specific industry, company or expertise of the alumnus, but the above questions are a good place to start.
Try not to be intimidated by meeting new people, especially fellow Bears. UNC alumni want to help you and support your success, here are three tips to help you feel more confident during an networking event.
- Your "Pitch" - Develop a 30 second commercial to clearly articulate your interests, goals, and top accomplishments. Practice this until you are comfortable saying it in normal conversation.
- Engage - Ask open-ended questions and build on the person's response. Think of networking as a comfortable conversation.
- Follow-up - Ask for a business card. Write down at least one take-away from the conversation. Send a follow-up email and express your appreciation for the conversation.
Just like any skill, networking takes practice. You will get better the more often you practice these tips. Starting with alumni is a great way to get comfortable developing this important professional skill.