Phelps Family CAP Awards
- Eligibility Requirements
- Junior or Senior at the start of the 2022-2023 school year (preference for the award will be given to students going into their senior year)
- Enrolled full-time for Fall 2022 & Spring 2023
- U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident
- Not a dependent of a UNC employee
- Completed at least 24 credits in residence at UNC
- Have at least 2 semesters remaining before graduation
- Demonstrate financial need
The CAP Award is administered on a semester basis, with 50% ($2,500) of the maximum amount distributed the following semester if the student still meets the eligibility criteria & has successfully completed BAFN 240 Introduction to Personal Financial Planning.
- How to Apply
- Login to your UNC Scholarship Application located in Ursa or visit the DIRECT LINK
- On your Recommended Opportunities page scroll down and find this scholarship
- Click on the yellow “Apply” button
- Upload application materials as a single PDF file (LASTNAME-FIRSTNAME-CAP22), and agree to enroll in BAFN 240 in either fall or spring if you have not yet completed the course
- Application Materials
- 500 word essay that addresses: "To what extent do the values of Contribute, Achieve, and Pay-it-forward
(CAP) apply to your life?"
Contribute...by volunteering time and personal skills, talents, abilities, experience and passion around issues in service to the community.
Achieve...by displaying a bias toward action and performance, self-reliance, overcoming obstacles, and accomplishing academic goals.
Pay it Forward...by impacting the lives of others in meaningful and positive ways to them through small or large, random or planned acts of kindness, caring, and giving back.
- Resume or CV, no more than 2 pages, and up to 3 pages of optional supporting documents.
- UNC faculty/staff endorsement: A short, signed statement from someone who knows you and can attest to your suitability for the award. Please be sure to request the endorsement in advance so the faculty/staff member has sufficient time to complete and return to you before the deadline.
You may submit additional documents to support your eligibility for the award, including UNC Engage volunteer resume, letters of recommendation, and certificates of achievement.
- 500 word essay that addresses: "To what extent do the values of Contribute, Achieve, and Pay-it-forward (CAP) apply to your life?"