Phelps Family CAP Awards
The Phelps Family CAP Awards are awarded to upper division undergraduate students, with junior or senior academic standing.
- Eligibility Requirements for the applicant:
- Full-time student who is a citizen of the United States or Permanent Resident or has DACA or ASSET status
- Completed a minimum of sixty (60) credits by Fall 2024
- Junior or Senior at the start of the 2024-2025 school year
- Not a dependent of a UNC employee
- Demonstrate financial need
- Submit and honor a written commitment to the University to complete, prior to the recipient’s final semester, one of the following to enhance the student’s level of personal financial literacy:
- complete a personal finance course or program at the University such as the current Finance course, Introduction to Personal Financial Planning (BAFN 240)
- complete a financial literacy program offered by the University that requires a minimum of twenty (20) hours to be completed over at least one semester, currently offered through iGrad
- if recipient is unable to register and complete a course or program at, or sponsored through, the University, recipient alternatively may complete an equivalent course or program from another accredited financial education provider to satisfy this requirement if approved by the University and the Foundation (transferable credits or grades toward graduation are not required).
- Application Materials Required
- 500 word essay that addresses: "To what extent do the values of Contribute, Achieve, and Pay-it-forward
(CAP) apply to your life?"
Contribute...by volunteering time and personal skills, talents, abilities, experience and passion around issues in service to the community.
Achieve...by displaying a bias toward action and performance, self-reliance, overcoming obstacles, and accomplishing academic goals.
Pay it Forward...by impacting the lives of others in meaningful and positive ways to them through small or large, random or planned acts of kindness, caring, and giving back.
- Resume or CV, no more than 2 pages
- Up to 3 pages of optional supporting documents (such as letters of recommendation, certificates of achievement, letters regarding
community service activities)
- UNC faculty/staff endorsement: A short, signed statement from someone who knows you and can attest to your suitability for the award. Please be sure to request the endorsement in advance so the faculty/staff member has sufficient time to complete and return to you before the deadline.
- 500 word essay that addresses: "To what extent do the values of Contribute, Achieve, and Pay-it-forward (CAP) apply to your life?"
- How to Apply
- Login to your UNC Scholarship Application located in Ursa or visit the DIRECT LINK
- On your Recommended Opportunities page scroll down and find this specific scholarship: "Phelps Family CAP Awards"
- Click on the yellow “Apply” button
- Upload application materials as PDF files, with YOUR name as part of the title: