The Stryker Institute for Leadership Development is a participation-based scholarship program that serves women and transwomen from under-represented groups and supports scholars in their identity and leadership development.
We accomplish our mission by:
- providing access to educational opportunities focused on identity development, social justice, leadership and mentorship
- cultivating a sense of belonging through connectedness and community
- empowering women/transwomen through encouragement and facilitation of personal growth
- establishing a network of support through collaboration with campus and community partners
Our program prepares students to develop a leadership identity that enables them to create positive social change and advocate with purpose.
We envision a world in which leaders bring awareness to social injustices and find liberation in dismantling systemic barriers that prevent us from achieving our goal of thriving in an equitable society.
STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES
As a result of being a recipient of the Stryker scholarship, Stryker scholars will be able to:
- identify and define at least two of their social identities
- explain privilege and oppression within a societal context through an intersectional lens
- describe how their leadership is influenced by their core values and identities they hold
- demonstrate the use of mentoring techniques applied through a mentor and mentee relationship
- identify an injustice that resonates with their identities and create a plan to enact positive social change
We approach our work with the following values:
- Celebrating the unique intersecting identities of each scholar and the strength of our collective voice in positively impacting our families and communities
- Maintain an open-mind to explore and find healing in telling our stories
- Cultivate individual and collective success of women/transwomen through social justice and leadership development
- Support an inclusive learning environment where dissonance and differences are understood, respected, appreciated, and recognized as a source of strength
- Demonstrate diligence and accountability as we challenge ourselves through identity exploration to become better advocates