To be admitted to the UNC Dietetic Internship, the prospective intern, sponsoring facility AND the preceptors must all meet certain requirements. TOGETHER they are evaluated for potential success.
Minimum Requirements for Applicants:
- Completion of an approved / accredited undergraduate program resulting in a Baccalaureate degree from a U.S. regionally accredited college / university or a foreign degree equivalent to at least a U.S. baccalaureate degree.
- Verification of Completion form or Intent to Complete form signed by DPD Program Director of college/university where dietetics courses were taken.
- Grade Point Average (GPA): All Undergraduate and Graduate courses combined must be
at least a 2.8 on a 4.0 scale.
- MANDATORY ESSAY QUESTION IF YOUR CUMULATIVE GPA is EQUAL to or BELOW a 3.0 - if your Cumulative GPA is equal to or below a 3.0, please write in less than 300 words what factors contributed to it and how you changed the way you approached your courses or the resources you utilized?
- Exceptions will be considered and acceptance will be decided by the review committee.
- E-mail address that is active throughout the internship experience, as well as reliable internet access, reliable computer, and webcam with video and microphone.
- A quiet, private place to participate in remote student hours and learning activities.
- A completed application packet must be submitted prior to due date.
You may be asked to participate in a telephone interview. If you are not requested to participate, this does not mean that your application is not being considered.
Minimum Requirements for Preceptors/Facilities:
- It is highly encouraged to seek Registered Dietitians as preceptors.
- Registered Dietitians are a requirement for your clinical rotation preceptor but for your other rotations it is advised but not mandatory.
- Preceptors who are registered dietitians must provide a copy of their CDR card.
- Preceptors must be able to document appropriate continuing education for the previous two years.
- Preceptors must have adequate time to provide required supervision of the student.
- A minimum of three preceptors must be included in your application to meet all specific rotation requirements; your clinical inpatient preceptor must be an RD.
- For any preceptor having supervisory responsibility for the intern or verification of work completed, a Preceptor and Facility form must be submitted.
- At least one facility that is Joint Commission-accredited.
- Educational resources to support an intern must be available.
- Sufficient variety in the overall combination of facilities must be available to support the breadth and depth of experiences required by the ACEND® Accreditation Standards. For any facility where the intern will have patient/client contact or decision-making responsibilities, a Preceptor and Facility form must be submitted.
Preference for admission will be given to:
- Applicants that have demonstrated leadership skills in past experiences.
- Applicants with a strong personal statement and letters of reference.
Dietetic Internship Director:
Nicole Withrow, PhD, RDN