To be admitted to the UNC Dietetic Internship, the prospective intern, sponsoring facility AND the preceptors must all meet certain requirements. TOGETHER they are evaluated for potential success.
Minimum Requirements for Applicants:
- Completion of an approved / accredited undergraduate program resulting in a Baccalaureate degree from a U.S. regionally accredited college / university or a foreign degree equivalent to at least a U.S. baccalaureate degree.
- Verification of Completion form or Intent to Complete form signed by DPD Program Director of college/university where dietetics courses were taken.
- Grade Point Average (GPA): All Undergraduate and Graduate courses combined must be
at least a 2.8 on a 4.0 scale.
- MANDATORY ESSAY QUESTION IF YOUR CUMULATIVE GPA is EQUAL to or BELOW a 3.0 - if your Cumulative GPA is equal to or below a 3.0, please write in less than 300 words what factors contributed to it and how you changed the way you approached your courses or the resources you utilized?
- Exceptions will be considered and acceptance will be decided by the review committee.
- E-mail address that is active throughout the internship experience, as well as internet access.
- A completed application packet must be submitted prior to due date.
You may be asked to participate in a telephone interview. If you are not requested to participate, this does not mean that your application is not being considered.
Minimum Requirements for Preceptors/Facilities:
- It is highly encouraged to seek Registered Dietitians as preceptors.
- Registered Dietitians are a requirement for your clinical rotation preceptor but for your other rotations it is advised but not mandatory.
- Preceptors must be able to document appropriate continuing education for the previous two years.
- Preceptors must have adequate time to provide required supervision of the student.
- A minimum of three preceptors must be included in your application to meet all specific rotation requirements; your clinical inpatient preceptor must be an RD.
- For any preceptor having supervisory responsibility for the intern or verification of work completed, a Preceptor and Facility form must be submitted.
- At least one facility that is Joint Commission-accredited.
- Educational resources to support an intern must be available.
- Sufficient variety in the overall combination of facilities must be available to support the breadth and depth of experiences required by the ACEND Accreditation Standards. For any facility where the intern will have patient/client contact or decision-making responsibilities, a Preceptor and Facility form must be submitted.
Preference for admission will be given to:
- Applicants that have demonstrated leadership skills in past experiences.
- Graduates of the UNC Didactic Program in Dietetics.
Nicole Withrow, PhD, RDN