Presidential Search Committee Meets for First Time
September 26, 2017
University of Northern Colorado Board of Trustees convened the first meeting of the presidential search committee on Tuesday, Sept. 26.
After introductions, the board discussed at the special meeting the committee’s functions and outreach to collect feedback on characteristics sought in the next president. The committee’s work will include working with the search firm, which is expected be selected in mid-October from applicants who submit bids, to generate a strong and diverse pool of candidates, screen applications, conduct interviews and identify candidates to recommend to the board for consideration as finalist(s).
The initial draft of the leadership characteristics and job description that was reviewed at Tuesday’s meeting:
- Be knowledgeable about the higher education environment
- Appreciate UNC’s unique strengths
- Embrace innovation
- Energize and inspire people
- Eagerly engage students
- Be a catalyst for collaborative action
- Connect with the Greeley and Colorado communities
- Build strong relationships with alumni, donors, legislators and policy makers
- Possess big-picture financial acumen
- Identify and obtain external funding
The bulk of the meeting was devoted to discussing a short survey that will be provided to the campus and surrounding community to rank the importance of each of the leadership characteristics and offer feedback. A link to the survey will be available in the coming days.
The committee will meet next on Oct. 20 to continue discussing the job description and leadership characteristics. The board will hold a special meeting Nov. 1 to establish the leadership characteristics/job description, selection process and timeline.
Search committee members
- Trustees: Richard Monfort (chair), Paul Washington (vice chair), Anthony Salazar, Christine Scanlan, Kevin Ahern, Kato Crews, Janice Sinden, Vish Iyer (faculty trustee), Michael Kelly (student trustee)
- Student Senate: Kevion Ellis (president), Malaika Michel-Fuller (student rights advocate)
- Faculty Senate: Stephen Luttmann (chair), Anne Toewe (College of Performing and Visual Arts senator)
- Professional Administrative Staff Council: Shawanna Kimbrough-Hayward (chair)
- Classified Staff Council: Margaret Kinney (chair)